[NEWS] - BMG copy protection thwarted with the shift key?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
  • # "Computers running Linux or Mac OS 9 can't run the MediaMax software at all, so they can always copy the recording.

# "Many users disable the autorun feature [11] (autostart on Mac OS), so their systems will be able to copy the disc unless the user manually launches MediaMax.

# "Windows users who haven't disabled autorun can suspend it when they play a SunnComm-protected disc by holding down the shift key for a few seconds while inserting the CD. They can then copy the data normally.
"In all these cases, the audio tracks are left completely unprotected."
The latest copy protection scheme from BMG has been bypassed. This is even better than the black marker bypass. It's so funny I was ROTFLMAO :)

News source

Submitted by LiamC

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
I can only laugh at such blunders being made by the music industry. Bet there are plenty of red faces with eggs on their faces at BMG. :lol:

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Liam said:
SunnComm plans to sue the student who "discovered" the "hack" using the DMCA.
That's really sad. It also angers me a fair amount. I really can't stand the tenacity of some of these companies. I have never read the DMCA, but everything I see about it just makes it look like a reactionary draconian piece of crap.

Handruin

Administrator
It also angers me that they feel the need to get revenge because of their blunder. At the bottom of the article, it says "If pressing the Shift key is a violation of the DMCA, then the law needs to be changed." :mrgrn:

I see where their claim may hold some value because he published this information, but on the flip side, this person didn't use any special tool to break the security, only a built-in function of windows. I think it will be an interesting (yet pointless) resolution.

It also annoys me that this CD installs a driver to protect it from duplication...that's bullshit. (this is as bad as turbo tax's scheme) The user should have to agree to allow this file to be installed.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That's just what Iw as thinking handy. Installing system level software without even asking permission etc is very poor style and although probably not criminal I wouldn't doubt if it could be brought up in a civil suit.

But then I guess any autorun program is running an executable that can do whatever it wants. By having autorun turned on by default you are in essence saying that you trust the content of any CD you insert into your computer.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
I've always disabled the Autorun feature. Does this make my computer means of felony? :wink:

Jan

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i dont login as root in linux, but in windows it's a bit harder... I have always made my login a member of the administrators group. Without atleast being a power user status you can't do alot of the everyday stuff that people do on their computers. 3D games for example, ICQ, many of the older applications designed for win9x....

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Windows enables autorun by default, right? And they don't warn the user. Is MS liable for damages if a malicious CD damages a PC?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IIRC the Windows license agreement absolves Microsoft of damages or responsibility in the event of negative consequences from the use of its software.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Yes, but license agreements haven't always held up so well in court. What about on a vomit box where you might not have to agree to the licensing agreement(or do you?)?