[NEWS] - Cornice to offer 4x3cm, 2GB HDD

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Cornice, a well-known producer of ultra-small hard disk drives, broadened its lineup of “Storage Element” disks with 1GB, 1.5GB and 2.0GB models. The miniature HDDs can fit into typical key-chain and target the markets where historically flash memory was dominating.

Since its introduction in June of 2003, the Cornice Storage Element has enjoyed rapid adoption in consumer electronic (CE) devices from companies like Philips, RCA, Rio, and Creative Labs. Measuring only 42.8mm x 36.4mm x 5mm and weighing only 14.5 grams, the Cornice SE HDDs are compatible with IDE standard and offer enough performance for music and video playback while still maintaining low power consumption.
These drives have the potential to seriously threaten USB flash drives IMO.

News source

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was under the impression that they were smaller. Significantly smaller. But I admit I don't remember exactly what size are the microdrives.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They're all compact flash-sized -- which is to say, pretty small already.

These sound to be about the same size.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Can these things even compare to flash drives when it comes to durability?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Whoopee, a 2GB microdrive. The dimensions are exactly that of CF Type II.

Cornice disk drives are well known? Are they like the Chinese data killer 2.2GB microdrives that give editors heart attacks? 2GB Type I and 4GB Type II CF cards have been around for about a year. 8GB cards are due soon, but are too expensive for consumer devices.