[News] Fedora Core 1 Released

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio submitted the following text for the same news, but I've been sleeping for a good part of the day (I'm sick), so I didn't see his news until a few minutes ago.
Weren't we just talking about this?

Fedora, the "developer" replacement for the Linux distro formerly known as Red Hat, has just hit its first milestone release. Called "Core 1", it will succeed Red Hat's own Linux product so that Red Hat itself can concentrate on supporting enterprise customers.

A glance at the release notes show such niceties as install-over-VNC and 2D drivers for ATI's entire Radeon product line in xfree86.

Interested parties should join the bittorrent while the gettin's good.
release notes

I want to add that I've been visiting regularly their web site since Monday, except for today, hoping to be the first to write the announcement. Congrats to both CityK and Mercutio for their better timing.

You can get the Bit Torrent here

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I wouldn't try to install WinXP on a box with a scant 64MB of RAM. 128MB would be the bottom-of-the-pit amount IMO. I think I've seen two computers a few months ago with WinXP installed on Celeron 433MHz/64MB or 96MB RAM systems, but it was so slow that they would qualify for "unusable" status.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
WinXP requires a P2-300 with 1GB of disk space and 128MB RAM. Those exact same requires are also used by WinME.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
wow, that sounds like a pretty good winME box to me.... I dont think winME actually needs any more than 64MB, certainly doesn't require a pentium II 300 to run smoothly.

I was studying for A+ and one of the operating system questions asked what the minimum HDD size is required for a win2k pro install... I guessed 1GB because I had no problems installing to a 700MB to 1GB drive before... unfortunately the correct answer, is aparently 2GB.

Mercutio

You know the requirements change on the 26th, right? Questions on Bluetooth and 802.11, XP and ME.

I might be thinking of the recommended RAM for ME, I admit.

The A+ test won't normally ask disk space requirements, except the confusing case of 98 FAT16 v. FAT32. You're much more likely to get asked about RAM and CPU requirements. In fact, you can expect to see that question (Given four machines, which can install Windows 2000, or whatever?).

Let me know if you need any study material.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'm sure the A+ exam has changed a bit since I took it 5 years ago. Back then it was IRQ questions for COM & LPT ports with the odd fire extinguisher question.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
No. I didnt know the test changed on the 26th, I know it changes every once in ahwile.. I actually just started studying with a book I got at the library. The book is a bit old, but I figured it would cover 95% of what I needed.

It doesnt include winXP or winME and I dont think the supplemental CD -Rom that came with the book works with my computer (probably I have too new a version of acrobat).

The book is "A+ Complete Study Guide second edition" by David Groth and Dan Newland. Copyright 2001 Sybex.

If you have anything newer/better it would be appreciated. I've done the practice tests (scored an A- to a B+ on hardware, C on the OS section) and am now in the middle of the 1st chapter... so not like i'm committed to this reference.

Mercutio

There aren't any books yet for the new requirements. I teach with the McGraw-Hill "Mike Meyers A+ All in One Exam Guide", which has the distinct advantage of being readable, not as dry as the other books on the subject.

Frankly, you and most of the other folk who visit here should be able to certify in A+ without ever picking up a book.

I'm trying to gauge enthusiasm for the MCDST cert as well. It looks nice and entry-level, covers common MS applications (Office, OE, IE) and really looks like it has useful criteria for certification. I think it would be a good class to teach. One of the shortfalls of A+ is that there's very little practical knowledge needed pass the test, and very, very little actual knowledge of Windows and Windows apps.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I know almost nothing about bluetooth, a little about 802.11, and have been using winME/XP since they were available to the public as OEM purchasable products.

I dont think there's very much that has changed from win2k to winXP.. winME has several things that make it more attractive then how I remember win98, but in the scheme of things they're pretty minor. I wouldn't expect anything I don't already know about them to be on the test.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I took the test three years ago, right before it changed. 95 was the OS.
Blake don't forget that the test is designed for beginners so the questions (and OS differnences) may be fairly superficial. That is to say the questions involving OS differences may focus on the superficial.

Are you aware that MS considers some other certs as valid under their cert program.

For instance, and A+ and Network+ (or simply Security +) plus 2KWKST plus 2KSVR plus one 2KSomething-I-can't-Remember =2K MCSA

2K MCSA plus 2K3 transition test = 2K3 MCSA

Mercutio

A+ or Server+ and Network+ together count as an elective toward MCSA certification.

MCSA 2000 = 70-210 or 70-270 (2000 Pro or XP Pro), 70-215 (2000 Server) and 70-218 (Administering a Windows 2000 Network), and one elective.

The 2003 exams were not a picnic and I'm not sure there's any point to certifying in 2003 right now. It's not being widely adopted, best I can tell.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have since forgotten the test numbers, but I had passed NT 4.0 Workstation, NT 4.0 Server and TCP/IP. I failed NT 4.0 Server in the Enterprise and wish that I had taken IIS 2.0 at the time. Oh well, I got half of my MCSE passed, not that my customer's have ever asked. :)

Mercutio

It's not worth a whole lot any more. There's no way I would've bothered with the 2003 stuff if I didn't have to teach it.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
It's not worth a whole lot any more.

True. Plus, I learned a lot more actually doing the work. I'm not much of a book person, so reading something doesn't necessarily make me understand how it works. I've always been a hands-on person when it comes to learning and remembering.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Me - ahm blissfully ignorant. No computer hw / OS certs at all. I do have some in apps/dev. tools. I'm probably the only apps. type (business apps, ERP, etc.) guy in this heah forum.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
A+ or Server+ and Network+ together count as an elective toward MCSA certification.

Yep, and Security+ counts by itself.

What was so difficult about the 2003 tests? Subject matter of testing method or...?

Mercutio

Basically it comes down to less knowledge of the testing material floating around. There are books out, about what to expect, but the 1st editions never get quite right.