[NEWS] - Firefox 0.9 out

Handruin

Administrator
Jan Kivar said:
Firefox 0.9 is the award winning preview of Mozilla's next generation browser. Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely and efficiently than with any other browser.

Link Source

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Just loaded 0.9. Works OK. But, I can't 'Logout' of the SF Forums, even if I shut down and then restart Ff.

C

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I too am using it now. Cannot seem to get TabBrowser Extensions to work right. The one feature I needed most doesn't seem to work. With FF 0.8, the context menu would show "open in new tab" (which opened in new tab but kept focus on current tab) and "open in new active tab" (which would move focus to the new tab).

Now I see only "open in new tab", which works like "open in new active tab".

In TabBrowser Extensions Preferences, I have "use Expert Preferences" checked;
Show "Open in New Active Tab" for Links and Booksmarks
Show "Open in in this Tab" for Links and Booksmarks

are both checked by default and grayed out.

The only thing I can think of is that TabBrowser Extensions hasn't been updated for FF 0.9.

Any comments or help?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
0.9 wasn't tested enough and it shows.

For instance in order to install other themes (which you will want to do as the new theme is not that great) you have to download the jar file and then drag and drop it in the theme manager. If you click the links on update.mozilla.org, it just wants to download the theme and not install it.

However 1.0 isn't too far off and I expect that 0.9 was released to get people to test all the new features. Maybe there will be a 0.9.1.
I'm using 0.9 but I don't think I am going to recommend it just yet to anybody else.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
What an utter, incredible piece of shit!

I've been using 0.8 since it came out, and should have well left it alone. I uninstalled it, tried 0.9, didn't like it, uninstalled that, and now 0.8 won't work. It installs, and everytime it is run, hangs. Task manager shows CPU and Mem Usage rising steadily, but the applications tab of Task Mgr shows Firefox is not responding, and it certainly isn't.

I've tried everything; rebooting between each step, deleting the Mozilla and Phoenix folders in C:\Docs&Settings\user\Application Data, etc.

Typing this in IE. Isn't Mozilla supposed to make better sw than MS?

ddrueding

Fixture
Heh, I think I'll just stick with 0.8 for now...

Uh, oh....just today I told a client to "go download firefox" to "resolve all your issues"....I think I'll be getting a call tomorrow :(

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Will said:
They don't exactly have the upgrade/downgrade stuff 100%.
Try creating a new profile through the profile manager.
Why? Like I said, my folders are clean. My registry shows no traces of Mozilla or Phoenix or Firefix or Firebird.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
mubs said:
Will said:
They don't exactly have the upgrade/downgrade stuff 100%.
Try creating a new profile through the profile manager.
Why? Like I said, my folders are clean. My registry shows no traces of Mozilla or Phoenix or Firefix or Firebird.

Because it is the one thing you didn't mention trying ;)
Look at the forums over at mozillazine.org
Maybe in Firefox General or FireFox Support.
They might have seen the problem before.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I JUST installed the June 15th nightly build about 10 minutes ago on a fresh install of 2003 Server. Seems OK so far. Must admit I've never wanted to log out of SF or bothered to install a new theme...

Magpie 3.11 is a lot nicer though.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Will,

In my second post, I did say that I deleted my Mozilla and Phoenix folders. That includes the profile. After I uninstalled 0.9, I put my system back to "Firefox was never on this machine" state. My bookmarks are saved elsewhere, and I didn't care about prefs. Even now, technically, my system is clean from a FF perspective. Unless I don't know about some tricky entry in the Registry or some file it puts in the Windows folder (which it's not supposed to).

I can't seem to find the zip version of 0.8, only the installer version, which I already have.

The forums at mozilla are full of gripes about 0.9. I don't think it's half as stable as 0.8 was.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck,

Thanks very much, that's very kind of you. But I did find the zip version of 0.8, and gave that a go. Same exact problem. So either 0.8 or 0.9 changed my system in some way that I cannot identify (Registry looks clean, relevant folders don't exist).

The forums at mozilla have warnings about what to do before installing 0.9; unfortunately, the installation instructions didn't say anything about these. I'll have to keep digging.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've reinstalled 0.9, and it is working (couldn't get 0.8 to work, no matter what).

Merc, is TabBrowser Extensions working for you in 0.9? It appeared to get installed properly, but the context menu doesn't show the "open in new active tab", and whenever I say open in new tab, focus automatically goes to the new tab. Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry to make an ass of myself. I figured it out by playing with the TabBrowser Extensions preferences. A bit non-intuitive, but all is well now.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
why is it that just when I really need a dependable browser (i.e. - I've got 3 paying jobs that are all very web-based) my 0.8 Firefox dies on my main machine. Upgrading to 0.9 didn't work. Perhaps I should just stick with regular Moz. Grrrrr!

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
mubs said:
Sorry to make an ass of myself. I figured it out by playing with the TabBrowser Extensions preferences. A bit non-intuitive, but all is well now.
Good to hear that you got things figured out mubs. While reading through I kind of figured it was just an extension problem....but obviously you figured that too.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The problem is that uninstalling 0.8 (that has extensions) is not enough; it leaves remnants that make 0.9 hiccup. A single line mentioning this in the 0.9 install instructions would have been enough. There are also things left behind in the registry that I cleaned by hand. FF is virtually unusable for me without TabBrowser Extensions, and I love TBE; but there are interdependent options in TBE config that cannot be intuitively identified, which was my problem.

I used plain vanilla MS IE for 2 days and couldn't believe how lame it really is.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
using and am happy with Mozilla 1.7 on my main machine. Not sure what I'm missing not using Firefox.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I just upgraded last night. It did not go smoothly. Mubs you are absolutely correct that the release instructions are incomplete. Fortunately a couple of weeks have passed and some of the fixes to installation problems have been thressed out and are available on Mozillazine forums. Nonetheless, still very disappointing that I had to read through Moz's threads, the release notes, extension pages and then finally manually eradicate old reminents before I got this ship set straight.

Problems encountered
- Disabled all extentions prior to starting.
- uninstalling v0.8...prompted about stuff still in folders. Q. do I want to nuke everything? Well that's a good question, especially if I have no idea what folder their taking about. Do I? Well lets try it without deleting. Install v.9. Nope. that didn't work. My old profile is not detected and all the java, flash, PDF etc etc is broken.
- Take two. Restore Ghost image. Disable extentions. Uninstall v.8. When prompted, answer yes. Then manually delete "program files/FF" folder at end. Reboot. Install v9 succeeds and old profile recognized! Yeah!
- Umm but what about all the plugins stuff. Well lets see, java made it, PDF made it but flash is busted. Reinstalls flash. Still busted. Enters stare down contest with computer (computer wins). Off to Moz again. Follows the rabbit to the Flashblock page. Tries their "handy" auto vapourizer of old Flashblock reminents. Doesn't work. Manual instructions do. Flash works again! Yes! Now how do I turn it off now? No new (v.9 compatitible) version of Flashblock yet. Adblock, works but too extreme. I like to run hot and cold with my flash.
- QT and Realtime alternative browser plugins dead (naturally given the entire directory was nuked). Off to Program files\QT and Real Alternatives, run exe. Both working in seconds.

So anyways, everything is fine now (except the lack of extentions...and the fact that when you open ~20 tabs at the same time, it appears that all the stupid flash ads that everyone seems to love using are noticeably slowing down page rendering).

What about the security settings? It kind of shocked me that software updates setting was configed to on and to allow websites to install stuff. Anyone else notice this?

Also rather disappointed by seeing all the Moz fan boys on Mozillazine carving into anyone who brought up an installation problem.

Bottom line: premature release, shooty documentation, and too many snobby elitests over at Mozillazine failing to recognize these facts. Lets hope they improve the implementation next time round.

-----------------

In other news, the upgrade to Thunderbird v0.7 went effortlessly.