[NEWS] - KT400A additional details.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
X-bit Laboratories has more details about the soon-to-come KT400A chipset from VIA. It will feature a new south bridge (VT8237, with among many goodies, 4 Serial ATA-150 ports) as well as a supposedly better single channel memory controller that should put it on par with a dual-channel nForce2, but at a lower cost.

X-bit provides the following performance details :
* VIA KT400A is fantastically 0.65% faster than single-channel NVIDIA nForce2 and amazingly 0.43% quicker than dual-channel nForce2 in Winstone Content Creation test.

* VIA KT400A outperforms single-channel nForce2 by outrageous 2.93% and is 2.05% faster compared to dual-channel nForce2 in 3DMark 2001SE test.

* VIA KT400A is can boast with dazzling 0.82% of extra performance versus single-channel nForce2 and surpasses dual-channel nForce2 by unbelievable 0.25% in Quake III Arena (1600x1200) test.

* Somehow VIA KT400A is 2.20% faster than single-channel nForce2 and outdistances dual-channel NVIDIA nForce2 by formidable 0.48% in Quake III Arena (640x480) test.

* VIA KT400A outperforms single-channel nForce2 by marvelous 5.78% and dual-channel nForce2 by incredible 0.68% in Jedi Knight II test.

* Due to unknown reason VIA KT400A managed to outdo dual-channel nForce2 in CodeCreatures BenchmarkPro by shiny and astonishing 0.1fps in 1600x1200 resolution. I wonder how did it happen, given that CodeCreatures is a test fully for graphics cards?
Despite the laconic comments they had about the lack of improvement of the KT400A over the nForce2, I'm quite amazed to see the KT400A matching nVidia's latest and greatest. Earlier reports I read didn't lead me to believe the KT400A would be a ssubstantial improvement compared to its older sibling : the KT400. I won't complain about it. VIA usually = low cost. nForce2 performances for cheap = power to the mass.

Additionally, VIA is also supposed to push the use of its new audio codec incorporating Sensaura's technology for manufacturers that plan to sell their own implementation of the KT400A. The VT1616 codec combined with Sensaura's driver would, always according to VIA, produce better sound than the comparable integrated audio of rival nForce2.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This is exactly the same situation that played out with the 1st nforce chip. It was king of all it surveyed for l6 weeks until Via released... whichever chipset it was, KT266A? KT333?, that made the many supposed advantages of nforce go "poof".