[NEWS] - Mozilla to be Replaced by Phoenix, Thunderbird

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In a new development roadmap published to its Web site, the Mozilla Organization outlined its future plans, which include a migration away from the current Mozilla suite to a leaner offshoot dubbed Phoenix.
The full story can be found here at Beta News.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
And it's good news, in my book. Lean and mean is the way to go. The only part of Moz I use is the browser. Everything else is useless crap. (The same exact comment applies to all the otrher browsers too, of course. If I need to send an email I'll use an email client. If I need to edit some HTML, I'll use a text editor. Integrated kitchen sinks in fat ugly bloatware are for AOL moronz.)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Watch who you're calling an AOLer, bub. I use every part of the current version of Mozilla. If someone sends me a message I can't decipher from elm, I fire up Moz's mail. If I'm ever possessed and need to use an address book, there's one in there, too, and the IRC client works just fine for the three times a year I need to use IRC.

Way I see it, anything more than Moz is probably just extra, useless crap (per Sturgeon's law, the thing in Tea's sig).

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK. Zorry. I think Mercutio got confuzed between us. Dunno why. I'm so much better looking, after all. And anyway, I didn't mean that Mercutio was an AOL-er. Just that I wish Moz would only load up all that other cra .... er ... stuff when required. Like three timez a year. Lookz to me like they are headed in the right direction.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh, I see. I stole it from Cliptin, and Cliptin stole it from Theodore Sturgeon. Which rather begs the question, doesn't it.

(Question?

Who did Theodore Sturgeon stole it from?

(Ahh.)

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
I tried the email client that came with Moz 1.0 and promptly went back to OE. Maybe one day I'll give the email client another try, but so far, I only use the browser. At home, I use OE for email and IE for work (VPN) and certain sites that refuse to work with Moz. Otherwise, I love the tabbed browsing. I find myself wishing I could use Moz at work, but all the intranet pages are written for IE only, not to mention I'm not allowed to install any software on my work rig. :(

Mickey

Adcadet said:
Mickey - why don't you just bring in your own computer to work?
;)
The one at work is a lot faster than my home rig; it has a very nice Wildcat 6110 card, something that I cannot afford in my home system. In exchange for having a great CAD setup, I think I can deal with having to use IE exclusively. ;)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I use the Moz browser, IRC client (Chatzilla), and the moz email.

The Moz email has worked far better than OE since before it was called Moz... (I pretty much only use IMAP). IE may be my main browser, but I love Moz for email.

Personally, I'd like to see it kept as a suite... but I can live with the seperate programs since it's not hard to switch between them.

Mickey

Adcadet said:
oh. Good reasons. Even if they do come from a mouse. Everybody knows that RATS RULE!
Heh, I'm in the middle of reading a book on the bubonic plague that hit San Francisco right around 1900. Brought over by...

Rats. ;)

Back OT: I figured I'd give the Moz email client another try on my laptop. If nothing else, it's good to learn a new package; I've played with Pegasus, Pine, VM mail (I hated it!), All-in-One (never did learn how to send a message with that one), OE, MS Exchange, Netscape's email, so it should be interesting. So far, it doesn't look like any of the others. Maybe the client with 1.1 will work better for me.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey, it wasn't the RATs, it was the FLEAS! AHHHHHHH! One stupid plague and you're stuck with a bad rep for centuries!

What book, but the way? As an epidemiology MPH student scrambling to finish my thesis while finalizing wedding planns, I need all the distractions I can get!

GMac

I'm another who only uses the browser (although I keep meaning to have a look at the mail and IRC components - I just never seem to have the time :wink: ), so splitting it out won't cause me any problems (I prefer it that way in fact as I don't use an e-mail client at all although the IRC client may be useful once I figure out how to let it through my firewall.....).

GM

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Make sure you're playing with Moz 1.3 at least. The builtin filtering is pretty cool (under tools > filters)

Mickey

Adcadet said:
Hey, it wasn't the RATs, it was the FLEAS! AHHHHHHH! One stupid plague and you're stuck with a bad rep for centuries!

What book, but the way? As an epidemiology MPH student scrambling to finish my thesis while finalizing wedding planns, I need all the distractions I can get!
It's called "The Barbary Plague: The Black Death in Victorian San Francisco," by Marilyn Chase. It just recently came out. I've only gotten through the first chapter so far.

Oh well. It's nice being a fictional mouse; no fleas. :)

Merc, I haven't decided if I'll download Moz 1.3 yet. Isn't it still in beta? I've heard good things about the email client, too. Maybe I'll be a bit adventurous today after work and install it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i don't know if i've ever had Moz crash.. even the alpha releases.... I have ran into a few minor bugs every now and then... but none have prevented me from doing what I want.

SteveC

Storage is cool
It's about time they did this. A browser should only be a browser, and not an e-mail client.

honold

Storage is cool
GMac said:
I'm another who only uses the browser (although I keep meaning to have a look at the mail and IRC components - I just never seem to have the time :wink: ), so splitting it out won't cause me any problems (I prefer it that way in fact as I don't use an e-mail client at all although the IRC client may be useful once I figure out how to let it through my firewall.....).

GM

pass tcp port 6667 to your box

Mickey

Tea said:
It's in final, Mickey. And as stable as ... er ... a really stable thing.
Thanks muchly. I just installed 1.3 and promise to use the email client for a week at least to see if I like it. Can't get away from using IE for VPN, much as I wish. :(

I've had great results using the Moz browser; it's been a lot more stable than IE 5.5 was for me. I manage to crash IE 5.5 at work a few times a week pretty easily. I think I've crashed Moz a total of five times since downloading 1.0 however many months ago it was.