[NEWS] - MSI resorts to brute force approach

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
MicroStar couldn't keep up with the rest of the pack, so what do they do? Overclock the FSB dynamically. Once CPU load reaches 100%, the FSB jumps from 800 to 860 and then back to 800 once the load is reduced. Read MSI's pathetic excuse on Tom's site.

Submitted by NRG = mc²

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think the technology is interesting and applaud MSI's innovation. As long as it works reliably, I don't see a problem with it.

I would expect that they would have announced it publicly later on after their testing was complete as the 'feature' would be a good market selling point.

C

zx

Learning Storage Performance
I would not buy a mobo with that feature. The only advantage I see is variable fan speeds. It would be nice that the mobo also adjusts the fan speed.

However, I don't like the idea that they only overclock the processor. I would like it also to underclock, like in notebooks.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
zx said:
I would not buy a mobo with that feature. The only advantage I see is variable fan speeds. It would be nice that the mobo also adjusts the fan speed.

However, I don't like the idea that they only overclock the processor. I would like it also to underclock, like in notebooks.

Once the processor heats up the thermal protection will kick in. :p

fool

I wonder what happens if you’re already running the board with an above spec fsb? Does it give a 6 to 8 % increase on an already overclocked board, thereby making the system really unstable?

zx

Lol....that feature is really useless. Unless they wanted to have better benchmarks without people noticing....hehe bad MSI.

Vlad The Impaler

I have one of the first of those boards produced. I got it about 2 weeks before the 865 was officially released. I must admit, I was not informed about this trick, but the board is very very good. 100% stable and a good 10% quicker than my old 845 solution. By the way, I am not sad enough to have swopped an 845 for an 865. I am the test subject for my companies latest boards!