[NEWS] - No more "Built by ATI" cards

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
From X-bit Laboratories :
After two years of being “a card company” and “a chip company” at the same time, ATI Technologies reportedly decided to totally withdraw itself from graphics cards business and concentrate fully on selling its VPUs to Add-In-Board partners.

A web-site said today that an unidentified source from ATI Technologies told them that the company will change its strategy; as a consequence, the company will cease to market its graphics cards and will fully dedicate itself to VPU development and selling. It means that we will not see any “Built by ATI” graphics cards on the market, but there will be more solutions by companies like Sapphire, TYAN, Gigabyte, Club3D, Power Color, Hercules and so on. In order to ensure the highest possible quality after the launch of higher-end products, ATI Technologies will outsource the manufacturing of such solutions to its current partner (PC Partner, the owner of Sapphire) and control the quality itself. Such products will still be marketed under different brand-names. The only consumer solutions to be sold under ATI’s own brand-name are ALL-IN-WONDER multimedia graphics cards.
Hopefully, ATI's cards prices will drop in result. However, we'll have to be vigilant regarding the quality of the "Powered by ATI" products, as some manufacturers might be tempted to make cost-cutting shortcuts that ATI wouldn't have made on cards sold under their own brand.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I dunno. I've always prefered to get my card from a company that owned the product all the way through. Then again, I can see that it's hard to sell chips to companies with which you compete.

I've been hooked on All-in-Wonder cards for some time, so I'm not sure that this will make a big difference to me....

Handruin

Administrator
That's depressing to hear. The one thing that drove me nuts about GeForce cars is trying to pick a reliable board from one of the 100 manufactures. (slight exageration, but you get the picture) With ATI, you could simply buy from them to get a board that should be put together correctly. (at least in spec with their initial design)

This doesn't always mean that the graphics manufacturer makes a decent board. If you recall, my most recent purchase of an ATI 9500 Pro (built by ATI) was defective due to odd radio frenquency interference in my monitor.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
This is sad.
But then again: how many of you having Intel- or VIA- chipsets buy the respective mobos from the chipset manufacturers?

Sure, compatibility and performance should be optimal, but you'll miss the bundled goodies the independent manufacturer (ie. ASUS) places in the mobos-graphics cards.

Handruin

Administrator
How many respective chipset manufaturers sell motherboards? Only one I know of so far is Intel...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think VIA outsources it's manufacturing to a big name (maybe MSI).. however, they have sold some mobos under their name. I wouldn't doubt if AMD has done exactly the same. Don't think I've ever seen an ALI or a SiS made mobo. Don't remember if UMC ever made mobos under their name or not.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've almost exclusively bought Sapphire cards anyway. I found I was getting something just as good for about 10% less than ATI's price.

Oddly, didn't nvidia actually manufacture all the FX5x00 cards itself?

zx

Learning Storage Performance
Well, it's less choice for ATI cards. Before, we had the choice between paying a higher price for an ATI brand name card or pay less for a card made by another manufacturer. The advantage with with ATI cards is that they a standard card based on the reference design. Also, the retail package is complete (ex : DVI-to-VGA connector), which is not garanteed with other makers.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
zx said:
Well, it's less choice for ATI cards. Before, we had the choice between paying a higher price for an ATI brand name card or pay less for a card made by another manufacturer. The advantage with with ATI cards is that they a standard card based on the reference design. Also, the retail package is complete (ex : DVI-to-VGA connector), which is not garanteed with other makers.

Hmm... AFAIR nVidia made sure that all GF4Ti cards were made to the reference design, to get rid of bad 2D image quality. And the boards for new FX cards come from one manufacturer, right?

Jan

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Apparently, it was a false alarm :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030605070910.html
Markham, Ontario-based company said this morning that the company will continue to supply the whole range of its graphics cards, including the lower-end graphics cards, such as RADEON 9200-series as well as mainstream and higher-end solutions, namely RADEON 9500, RADEON 9600, RADEON 9700 and RADEON 9800-series as well as ALL-IN-WONDER and FIRE GL graphics cards.

ATI Technologies stated today that it has changed its distribution structure slightly to make selling through distributors more attractive to their add-in-board partners. Nothing else, including the support policy, has changed. ATI Technologies will continue selling its whole range of “Build by ATI” graphics cards to major retailers in North America and directly from their web site.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:
How many respective chipset manufaturers sell motherboards? Only one I know of so far is Intel...
VIA sells its own mobos as well.

Handruin

Administrator
Prof.Wizard said:
Handruin said:
VIA sells its own mobos as well.

They do? Can you show me a link to one? I'm just curious because I've never seen one.

Handruin

Administrator
Bah, I'm too lazy to look for a VIA motherboard. :alb: I figured if he knows of one he could just let me know.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Probably UMC....but who cares, none of the stuff ever reaches the shores of N.A or Europe (unless your a reviewer and Via sends you a refernce board)....maybe our Aussie friends come across some, but I reckon its all bound for Pacific Rim proper.

CK

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
But do they actually make the board?
On June 5th, at 8:11am, I answered that question in this very own thread.

CityK said:
but who cares, none of the stuff ever reaches the shores of N.A or Europe
I'm not a reviewer and I've been able to buy VIA motherboards for quite a while. At least one local store and one online store sells them. I never did though, but I could.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I stand corrected! :D Thanks Coug, I was completely unaware of them being available around here.

CK

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
On June 5th, at 8:11am, I answered that question in this very own thread.
Would I be pushing my luck way to far by correcting you? :roll:

You did post it on that time, but according to MY clock at 2:11pm. Well, you can't talk about times in an international forum without being specific in regard to GMT/UTC.

Please count till 10 before you start chasing me. :p

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yup, you can buy VIA branded mainboards over here. I have always assumed that they are outsourced, and further assumed that the actual manufacturer is FIC, simply because VIA and FIC are sister companies, both owned by the Formosa Plastics group, and also becauses VIA boards arrived (at least here in Oz) at about the same time that FIC boards dissapeared off the market. But I have no evidence for that, these are only assumptions.

I've never bought one myself, or even seen one, because they seem to be mainly (only?) for the P4 platform, which doesn't sell in large enough numbers to be significant for us.

In fact, I understand that the P4 market was the entire reason for VIA making boards in the first place: Intel were doing their usual bully tactics thing with anyone who made chipsets, and publicly threatening to sue the pants off any motherboard maker who dared to use a non-Intel product in their boards. Motherboard makers, for all their other virtues, are not generally speaking very brave. They caved into the legal blackmail.

The only way VIA were going to be able to sell their latest product was to make the motherboards themselves. VIA are one of the few firms big enough to stand up to Intel and their batallions of lawyers.

Intel hardly ever win their litigate-on-sight cases: look at the long string of losses they had against Cyrix and AMD. But that, of course, is not the point: they know that only the biggest and the most determined of their competitors have what it takes to stand up against them. Even though the historical record demonstrates that Intel's suits are usually baseless and generally wind up being thrown out of court, no independant motherboard maker can afford the legal costs involved.

Since then, the case has been settled, I gather, and (as usual) on terms that are highly favourable to VIA. So the brand will probably dissappear again before too long, and VIA will just sell chipsets to all the independants, same as usual.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yay! A now-uncommon visit from the hairy aussie!

IIRC, the Via P4 chipset is a real POS. You know something is wrong when every chipset SiS makes compares favorably. I don't know if any motherboard maker would bother with Via P4 at this stage, anyway. Looks like the players for the near future will be Intel's i875 and SiS's quad-RDRAM thing, maybe.

I looked at a Hyperthreading 3GHz P4B on an 875. For about as long as it took for me to do the maths that say "1 3GHz intel chip + i875 = a decent XP2800 complete system"

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's nice to be welcomed back, Merc. I've been away for far to long, quite a bit of it away from home - Tannin and I are having a few weeks off work. More details in the digital camera thread before too long.

As for VIA chipset P4 boards, based entirely on prejudice, I agree with you. I have never much liked VIA chipsets for Intel CPUs. For AMD (and in the old days, Cyrix), yes, absolutely: all things considered, the best chipsets around. But for Intel CPUs I prefer Intel chipsets, or (on a good day) SiS.