[NEWS] Notebooks using desktop Prescott processors

Handruin

Administrator
Jan Kivar said:
Some second-tier Taiwanese notebook makers will roll out models using Intel desktop-use Prescott processors before the chip giant launches notebook-use Mobile Prescott processors in the second quarter of this year, according to sources.

Aimed at the desktop replacement market, the desktop Prescott notebooks will weigh around 3-3.5 kilograms, have a thickness of about 40mm and consume around 103 watts of power, according to the sources.

Intel is launching desktop Prescott processors today, which would allow local makers to roll out the first desktop Prescott notebooks in March.

Using desktop Prescott processors will give them cost advantages over using Mobile Prescott processors.

Desktop Prescott processors running at 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2GHz with a 800MHz FSB (front-side bus) will be priced at US$178, US$218 and US$278, respectively.

The Mobile Prescott processors will include 3.06, 3.2 and 3.46GHz versions with a 533MHz FSB. They will be quoted at US$234, US$294 and US$433, respectively, the sources said.

Related stories:

I mean... LOL! Imagine the battery life, and the heat output. You wouldn't want these on your lap...

Link Source

SteveC

Storage is cool
Why would they do something like that? There's no way you could run it on battery for more than a few minutes, so why even bother? Bragging rights?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
SteveC said:
Why would they do something like that? There's no way you could run it on battery for more than a few minutes, so why even bother? Bragging rights?

Maybe a portable coffee maker? Think of the marketing on that one-compute at warp speed for five minutes and then enjoy a nice hot cappuccino.

Seriously, something that requires 103 watts does not fall into the category of mobile. Or at least it won't until we have miniature cold fusion power sources.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This happens every single time a new intel chip gets released, and not just with second-tier guys. I've seen Compaq (third tier in all our hearts, yet sadly first in sales) retail notebooks with desktop P4s in them.

... in fact, I think I posted something about an Alienware laptop I ran into several months ago, that had a desktop chip in and a battery life measured in small fractions of an hour.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They should really consider designing these things into some kind of heating blanket. I'm sure that it would sell.

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
Battery Life? There has been and still is a decent niche market for "portable" computing, as in portable worstations.

In place of that tepid little 2-1/2" hard drive and the battery, I wouldn't mind having a solid-performing 160 ~ 250 GB 3-1/2" SATA hard drive! Something like this would spank silly any and all notebooks that dared to challenge it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Portable yes, laptop no. Considering all the accessories you'ld have to bring with it should we return to the nomenclature "luggable". That power brick must be huge.

Handruin

Administrator
Batteries get pretty darn hot when you pull their power out too quick. So on top of the CPU being warm, I'd bet the batteries get hot from rapid discharge.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, calling this thing a "laptop" will no doubt result in lawsuits....this will cook your drawers in no time.

But I might actually consider one if they removed the battery completely and threw in a raptor...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
considering desktop PSUs... about $25?

That's assuming a similar size PSU to an mATX/flexATX PSU and a single cable that carries all voltage lines to the computer.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Remember that an external supply has to be hardened against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune....