[news] - SATA Alternative: FATA

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Uh. Yeah. I'll be here growing old while that gets implemented on mainstream system boards.

Was that sarcastic enough?

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Was that sarcastic enough?

Nope... Not nearly enough.

What the hell?? 1/2 the cost per megabyte? Fiber = cheaper, never seen that one before[/quote]

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, but as with all things fibre, you won't even get a kiss before you bend over and pay for the cabling.

Onomatopoeic

I questioned the non-use of fibre during the beginnings of SATA, and several times since -- including recently around here in some discussion thread.

It would make generally make sense to have totally abandoned copper in favour of a fibre optic connection for data. You would have had plenty of speed for future SATA channels without the electronic headaches. What generally stopped this idea -- if it was ever seriously considered -- would have been the few $ in extra cost over using some form of copper-based serial solution.

Still, multi-mode optical transceivers along with some form of basic and cheap point-to-point connector solution and inexpensive multi-mode fibre optic cable could have been done relatively cheaply even 3 years ago. fibre optic technology is in wide usage.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
To be honest, that makes a bit a of sense. If my $100 motherboard can have optical in-outs for its crudy built-in sound, why can't my harddrive use an optical link?

Explorer

ddrueding said:
...and think of all the case modding possibilities! :eekers:

With the exception of the quasi-ugly optical cable (your pick: orange or grey), it wouldn't look any different than what you have now.

Explorer

sechs said:
To be honest, that makes a bit a of sense. If my $100 motherboard can have optical in-outs for its crudy built-in sound, why can't my harddrive use an optical link?

My take on throwing out copper wire for fibre -- with the newfangled serialised ATA channel -- was as much about the little guy (i.e. -- the consumer) as it was The Enterprise.

10 or 12 years from now we could have a mother&@^#%$ of a "solid state" mass storage device that could be blindingly fast compared to SATA hard drives as we now know them. If we started off with a standard Fibre-ATA channel that could be ramped up aggressively in throughput, we could transition seamlessly from rotating electro-mechanical hard drive storage devices to pie-in-the-sky hyperstorage devices if and when they appear.