[NEWS] - Sony's blue laser recorder on April 10

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sony's first generation recorder will land on Japanese retail shelves on April 10, at a price of $3,815. It looks similar to the prototype Blu-ray player that Sony showed at the Ceatec show in Japan last October.

To support the new machine, Sony also announced its first generation Blu-ray media. Discs with a 23GB capacity will go on sale from April 10 priced at $30. There are three disc sizes specified in the initial Blu-ray format, and 23GB is the lowest-capacity and easiest to make of the three. The other capacities are 25GB and 27GB.

Sony has no plans to launch the recorder overseas, Yanagisawa said.

Source : http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109617,00.asp

Submitted by Howell

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
...There are three disc sizes specified in the initial Blu-ray format, and 23GB is the lowest-capacity and easiest to make of the three. The other capacities are 25GB and 27GB.[/size]

It may turn out that the 25 GB and/or 27 GB disc media are for mastering purposes only, which means that you'll have to use a recorder specifically enabled for writing master discs (i.e. -- freekin' expensive).

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
On a side note, LiteOn is going to be carving into the DVD+/-R/W market very shortly with their $150 units....pricing of BluRay stuff will have to drop substatially to overcome the Liteon et al. inertia.

Ck

SteveC

Storage is cool
CityK said:
On a side note, LiteOn is going to be carving into the DVD+/-R/W market very shortly with their $150 units....pricing of BluRay stuff will have to drop substatially to overcome the Liteon et al. inertia.

Ck

Is that $150 for a ±RW drive? If it is, I don't see how they could sell one for less than half the price of the Sony, although I would love for them to do that. $150 for a drive that is only +RW or only -RW is much more realistic, in the short term.