[NEWS] - Three new browser releases

Handruin

Administrator
I finally made the switch from outlook to mozilla mail and calendar. Their calendar is very nice, but now I would like to upgrade to 1.5. I hope it doesn't kill my current mail configuration, it took me an hour to setup all those damn e-mail accounts.

So far I'm very happy with the switch to mozilla e-mail.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like Moz Mail better than thunderbird - I really miss having the direct browser integration (no open in new tab function), but I'm trying really hard to move to tbird, because I know I'll have to get over the change eventually.

Handruin

Administrator
Is mozilla going away soon?

On a side note, I just discovered this past weekend that our host supports IMAP along with POP3...I made that switch also and it's weird getting used to the mail living on the server and not my PC. I almost prefer it to be this way. I worried that my outlook pst file would get corrupted some day and all my mail would be lost. I run backups, but not nearly as often as I should.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Development on it is ending. :(

IMAP is absolutely a marvelous thing. The easy to use and maintain servers are insecure as all hell (firewall 'em), but besides containing email on a server, IMAP can also be used for file services in a home directory and the mail spool files for at least the Washington U. IMAP daemon use the same format as most email programs in the world (you could literally copy the Moz/Tbird/Eudora mail file to /etc/spool/mail/username and access all your mail).

Handruin

Administrator
I updated to 1.5 and everything went well. The upgrade uninstalled my calendar, but a quick reinstalled worked fine. It also retained all my calendar settings, so that was a nice relief.

There seems to be a new IRC chat feature that I don't recal in the previous version 1.4.1.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
Does Moz mail & calendar support syncing to Palm OS and PocketPC devices?

I only searched for Palm but it looks like it:
http://www.mozilla.org/status/app-suite-progress-future-2-2003.html
What is new since 1.0?
Mail/News/Addressbook

junk mail controls
mail views
palm sync for addressbook (Windows only)
filter improvements
able to view HTML mail messages as plain text
quote original message
image and plug-in blocking for messages

Though http://www.neurobashing.com/blog/archives/000184.html implies that synch is not working yet.

Then again maybe it's still a dream (CTRL+F:synch).

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Hmm... I guess it's too little too late for me. It would have been nice to have a viable Outlook alternative, but nothing comes close to Outlook's mail and calendar features except for maybe Gnome/Ximian Evolution.

And if anything, Moz the browser has never really done it for me. In fact, I'm back to using Opera 7.2 on my laptop after myIE2 seeming got corrupted (but more likely it is the IE6 browsing engine) on it. Opera has always been my "other" browser.