[NEWS] - WD Raptor Preview at SR

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
From Eugene Ra :
Few drives have generated as much buzz as Western Digital's upcoming Raptor, the first ATA drive to feature a 10,000 RPM spindle speed. Long-time SR sponsor Hyper Microsystems has made it possible to put an early pre-production Raptor through our standard battery of tests.

When reading the preview and perusing the figures, please remember that these results have been culled from a pre-production drive. Performance figures on the final shipping product may differ substantially. Though SR has traditionally refrained from presenting pre-production figures, HyperMicro's gracious gesture combined with the SR readership's insatiable curiousity has pushed this preview forward.
Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36GB preview.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
My first thought was that I should wait for the second version... the drive was fast... but not a whole lot of improvement over current 7200rpm disks, and is not as fast as current 10k SCSI disks...

But then I thought... if I'm building a low cost server and want faster than desktop IDE disks, I'm going to *HAVE* to go SCSI.... this drive could potentially keep someone from going SCSI and, depending on the cost of the drive, save alot of money on storage and a controller.

This is the 1st server oriented ATA drive since quantum was still around.... and I welcome its arrival.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
The most interesting thing about the review is that it will give us an example of how the performance of a pre-production "beta" drive compares to the final version.

As for the tests, the only real disappointment is the high-end scores. While other scores are equal or close to actual 7200rpm drives, the high-end scores are much worse (even in winbench!!). However, we never know, they might improve it significantly in the final version.

The good news is that the raptor does have the best IOmeter scores of all ATA drives. That makes it perfect for cheap servers.

Mickey

zx said:
The most interesting thing about the review is that it will give us an example of how the performance of a pre-production "beta" drive compares to the final version.
My thoughts exactly. Code is such an important part of drive performance, and it's usually the one part that takes the longest to optimize.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Newtun said:
That might indicate the drive is closer to production than we're hoping.
Sorry, you've lost me here. What does the Atlas' release have to do with the Raptor?

CK

zx

Man....look at the WD1200JB in the anandtech review! It considerably outperforms all other drives in all desktop application tests!

SteveC

Storage is cool
Eugene put the results of a final version of the drive in the database, and it shows quite a bit of improvement over the beta. While the file and web server results are still dissapointing, in the SR High-End and SR Bootup tests, it's the fastest drive.

Mickey

Hmm. The numbers look a lot better. That's a good sign, at least.

Good funny there, Mercutio. :lol: Of course, if my computer was constantly rebooting itself, I think I'd be worried about something much more serious than boot times! :D

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
So if I want to reboot my computer over and over, I should get a raptor!

w00t!
No no... you should get several Raptors and set them up in RAID 0 !!

CK

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mickey said:
Hmm. The numbers look a lot better. That's a good sign, at least.

Good funny there, Mercutio. :lol: Of course, if my computer was constantly rebooting itself, I think I'd be worried about something much more serious than boot times! :D

Last time I had that problem on one of my machines all I had to do was pull the GF2 and replace it with a Savage4...

Slightly more realistically, the only computer I boot with any regularity is my laptop (only if I didn't remember to "hibernate" it), and the Raptor isn't going to help that little guy much.

Come to think of it, why the *hell* does SR test for boot time? scandisk-cause-windows-crashed time is slightly more realistic, but even if a PC takes three or four minutes to come up, you're probably going to leave it on long enough that the difference between two minutes and four isn't going to be much of an issue.

Mickey

It's probably because a surprising number of people want the fastest possible booting drive. Does Linux offer hibernation support? (I have never used Linux, so pardon the potentially silly question.)

At work I usually just power on my workstation and take the time to get a fresh mug of water and check my voice mail. By the time I'm done the station is ready for me to login. The mappings take longer than the actual system bootup does.

I just had a funny image pop into my head, with a Raptor drive put inside one of those IEEE1394 external cases, then connected to a laptop. Unfortunately, I don't think you can boot off the external drive (or can you?).

Mercutio

Not on a laptop....

For a while I had a Cheetah hooked up to an old laptop of mine, just because I couldn't stand how slow it was, so I guess anything is possible.

Yes, Linux will do suspend to disk. At least, I remember seeing stuff about it in various documentation.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The numbers are up for the final version of this drive. Huge improvement from the one previewed less than a week ago. Beats the hell out of my Cheetah 36ES. Now I feel like I need to upgrade.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Not on a laptop....

For a while I had a Cheetah hooked up to an old laptop of mine, just because I couldn't stand how slow it was, so I guess anything is possible.

Yes, Linux will do suspend to disk. At least, I remember seeing stuff about it in various documentation.

Not on any PC laptop. All a matter of BIOS support I guess. If only those Adaptec SCSI PC Card controllers were cheaper (and LVD capable). An X15-36LP would speed my lappy up considerably.

Mercutio

Just to be clear: I was booting off the crappy 6GB IDE disk in my laptop; I don't know of any external devices that you can boot off of only notebook PCs, either.