[NEWS] - Why bother with Wi-Fi when CDMA can do?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a question about Wi-Fi (802.11) wireless LAN technologies: Why bother?

If I can get 70-80 kbps and my hotspot is all of SprintPCS' and Verizon Wireless' coverage area and the "line" is secure (which it is, compared to Wi-Fi) and streaming media isn't a priority for me, why bother with Wi-Fi?
News admin note : I think the author of the article looks like the nerd stereotype :

dberlind.gif

News source

Submitted by Blakerwry.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting. T-Mobile hotspot costs about $30 per month (12 month contract), and about $25 if you already have a T-mobile account.

If the Verizon data/voice package costs $80, that's not bad compared to the current cost of cell service + .11b access. And the range of coverage is obviously far improved. Bring on the dual capable PC Cards! Actually it could give some people who are out of the reach of cable/DSL some kind of psuedo broadband connection (when the future high speed standards come out).

Sadly in places such as Australia they still insist on charging per kb/mb downloaded (if using GPRS), I don't think there will be any unlimited plans there for many years to come.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I thought I should submit this because of the thread on cell phones. But wanted a distinct thread for this.

The technologies(CDMA and WiFi) seem to complement each other alot. WiFi for your secure LAN, and CDMA when you're on the go. From what I can tell CDMA is like mobile broadband for your notebook (or will be).

The comments I read at the bottom of the article were insightful.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Here we've got GPRS USB-modems being sold to households for 24x7 internet access. Atleast before they had unlimited download for it, and it cost something like...20 euros a month(hmmm, not sure about that, gotta check)...
Are you seing this also in australia and america?