[NEWS] - WiFi Access in Yosemite/Sierra National Forest

Handruin

Administrator
Howell said:
Proposal for WiFi Access in Yosemite/Sierra National Forest
message: Visitors to the Sierra National Forest / Yosemite National Park will be among the first to have WiFi access in National forest and recreational areas thanks to new, patented antennas from WiFi-Plus, Inc. The remarkable tree and obstruction penetrating qualities of the antennas were selected by Airwave Adventures and combined with Value Point Networks Rugged Access Points, to make a wireless internet available to RV’ers in Yosemite National Park area.

“The rugged design and high power of the Value Point Networks “SuperAP” (tm) and vastly superior tree penetrating ability of the WiFi-Plus antenna, allowed us to protect the environment and satisfy our customers need for wireless connectivity while visiting the park.” said Frank Beard, Communication Consultant for Airwave Adventurers. (The project spokesman).

Link Source

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
When I read this post, my first impression was: cool! Yet, after a few moments, I thought about this idea somemore and began to dislike the notion of being wired in the middle of the forest. When I go camping or backpacking, I'm looking for peace and tranquility, a restful atmosphere -- if I want to be wired, I can stay at home.

We'll see how rugged that equipment is when wildlife thinks those AP units are toys, or some endangered feathered creature decides to build a nest on a unit.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I'm not entirely sure I see the point. I guess I'm with Buck on this one.

Also, I presume they still had to run power lines everywhere (or set up big solar collectors); wouldn't that mess things up a bit? Can the average wireless NIC broadcast through the trees to the APs? Or is the AP side mostly discussing the backbone & not the connection to the users?

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Although I'm not a cell phone advocate for everyday use, I do see the benefits of having popular hiking trails within cell bubbles for emergency purposes. Camp grounds normally have telephones nearby.

I know one time when Buck fell from the bar and hit the floor hard, a quick emergency call came in handy.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks to me from the PR that this is just for the campground areas anyway. Too bad, I always wanted to check my e-mail from the back country. Otherwise, how could I justify the 12 pound, 17" laptop in my 45 pound bag of provisions?

Handruin

Administrator
Like Buck, I like being away from most of the radio waves (and internet) when I go camping in Maine. (which I did all last week) :) Cell phones barely work, and there is little to no electricity available except for in the showers and bathrooms.