NEWZ: Dual Core AMD64 Now For Sale...

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
in Japan this week... probably in the USA in 3~4 weeks... Europe and elsewhere in 4~5 weeks.

nx2d1.jpg

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We should have an Intel DC 3GiggleHerz Dell to play with in the next week or two. I have big hopes for it to help with Abbyy Finereader performance.

AMD is out until we can get something that is close to Dell Gold support.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
AMD is out until we can get something that is close to Dell Gold support.

I'm curious. What does Dell Gold support provide that you can't easily get elsewhere?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
4 hour or next business day on-site, little-to-no hold time when calling, techs who speak English and believe you when you say you've already done something. You can bypass the script.

In short, the kind of support you actually deserve vs. what you normally get.

In the past, I had a notebook HD fail. I called the gold support 800 #, the phone was answered by a tech w/o going on hold. I could easily understand the tech, told him the tag # and that the drive failed the diags with whatever the error code was. Despite notebooks being depot-service, he advance-shipped me the new HD overnight w/o needing a credit card #. Total time on phone was maybe 5 minutes, and that included address verification, etc.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Gold support allows me to get something fixed without buggering around with the standard support queue (seperate phone number, straight to a senior tech). So when the serial port on a workstation is knackered, I can just tell them that and they will next day me a new mobo (or come and install it themselves if I want). With the standard support, I have to go thru the slow shit of upgrading firmware, running diagnostics etc, which can easily take 1 hr or more.

More importantly, we provide Dells to our clients as part of a turnkey solution, and we don't want to be providing support for these computers ourselves. Our clients appreciate the difference in response times with the upgraded support, and it makes them all warm and fuzzy in their dealings with us :)

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
Onomatopoeic said:
in Japan this week... probably in the USA in 3~4 weeks... Europe and elsewhere in 4~5 weeks.

This is, of course, "retail box" processor kit. Retail distributors are always the last to get such goodies.

The manufacturing operations operated by the giants of the computer industry and/or their manufacturing contractors have almost certainly been awash in dual core AMD64 (and Intel EM64T) microprocessors for a few weeks.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
One of our Dell's had a DeathStar incident yesterday. Drive was clicking, no sign of revival when placed in another Dell. Called support (unfortunately not Gold). Spoke to a lady in Panama City. New drive was delivered via UPS SonicAir in one hour (4 hour support contract).

Not bad at all.