NEWZ: First Serial SCSI (SAS) Hard Drives Delivered

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
  • Fujitsu Delivers Industry's First Production-Ready Small Form Factor Serial Attached SCSI Hard Disk Drives

San Jose, CA, March 8, 2005 — Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc., one of the world's leading suppliers of hard disk drives and computer peripherals, today announced that it has delivered the MAV2036RC 36GB hard disk drive and the MAV2073RC 73GB hard disk drive to leading storage manufacturers. This announcement marks the industry's first production-ready small form factor (SFF) serial attached SCSI (SAS) 3Gb/second hard disk drives. The new SFF SAS configuration offers lower power consumption than competing hard disk drives with a mean-time-between-failure (MTBF) rating of 1.4 million power-on hours, suitable to meet demanding enterprise application requirements....

Fujitsu expects SAS to become the interface of choice for enterprise hard disk drives including the new 2.5" SFF enterprise hard disk drives. The new form factor, interface combination allows users to significantly increase I/O performance by increasing storage density while decreasing power consumption. The smaller footprint also allows for increased spatial efficiency for improved performance....

Full press release at:

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/fcpa/news/pr/20050308-01.html

PS: One would now expect the floodgates to open by April: SAS 2.5" / 3.5" drives, SAS controllers, SAS RAID, SAS/SCA drive racks, SAS/SATA2 channel expanders, followed by SAS-versus-whatever benchmarks at numerous compu-geek websites in May / June / July.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hmmm. Apparently the new drives have no rpm. I am disappointed that the Fujitsus are not faster.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How can that be possible? The mechanics would be a nightmare.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LunarMist said:
How can that be possible? The mechanics would be a nightmare.

Not entirely, they put control of the heads back in the hands of a stepper motor and this HSA runs on a circular track around the platters. :D

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Dïscfärm said:
PS: One would now expect the floodgates to open by April: SAS 2.5" / 3.5" drives, SAS controllers, SAS RAID, SAS/SCA drive racks, SAS/SATA2 channel expanders, followed by SAS-versus-whatever benchmarks at numerous compu-geek websites in May / June / July.

Give mention if you notice any SAS variants of the Atlas 15K II or Cheetah 15K.4 coming up on your radar.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
So, to get 3 GB a sec solid state harddrives are just over the horizon?

Thanks
Gary

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
Hmmm. Apparently the new drives have no rpm. I am disappointed that the Fujitsus are not faster.

10kRPM... just like the known-to-exist and occasionally-shown Seagate and Maxtor 2.5-inch enterprise SAS hard drives.

• mav-sas.gif

http://www.fcpa.com/products/hard-drives/mav-sas/