[NEWZ] Microsoft Purchased Giant?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't remember which PC I happened to read this on.

Apparently Giant had already licensed its anti spyware software just before being purchased by Microsoft. If that's the case, I have to wonder what Microsoft got out of that deal.

Well, here's something about it.

Personally I would be very happy to see an effective antispyware tool ship with Windows. Unfortunately, the more effective it is, the harder the scumball spyware guys will work to kill it. It's a double-edged sword, and I think the result will be that the vast majority of clueful people will end up installing some non-microsoft product to deal with the sewage that manages to exploit IE's vulnerabilty of the hour to get installed in spite of Giant.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Microsoft have just finished distributing an internal Beta 1 escrow build to internal beta testers. "Atlanta" is the code-name for Microsoft's rehashed GIANT Software Anti-Spyware. In a memo internally, the company looks clear to distribute the software this coming Thursday calling it "new, it's fresh, and it's all good".

Encouraging employees to install the Beta is one of the many ways Microsoft tests Beta products internally. It's not clear whether the release this Thursday will be a public beta or a private external beta.

-Neowin

Handruin

Administrator
Is microsoft planning to release this as a stand-alone product in the future, or integrated into something else? It sounds like their beta release is a stand-alone tool.

An enterprise level tool to manage numerous machines would be nice.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As coincidence would have it...

The link has some early screenshots of a Microsoft Antispyware product. Looks kinda stand-alone to me.
Why would microsoft fix the problems in Windows that lead to spyware in the first place, when they can SELL you a fix instead?

/me goes off a corner to play with Linux box.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It would be really great if they would fix IE instead. Spyware is almost non-existent when running Firefox.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
The Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta is ready for download.

I don't think I'll be trying it just now. My Giant Antispyware subscription won't expire for another 206 days.

Handruin

Administrator
I tried it at work today and it seems OK. The user interface still needs some fixes, but that's to be expected with a beta. I didn't play with it extensively, but so far it seemed half decent.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Seems to work OK, it insisted on verifying that my XP install was "genuine", which is fine, but asking me to re-enter the product key off the COA label is a PITA. I can sleep easy at night knowing that I am "Genuine". In any case I like it, especially the little task manager processes explanation option in advanced settings.