"2.99 average latency
4.7/4.5/4.3 ms average seek time (read)
1078 Mbit/s maximum internal transfer rate
89 MB/s maximum sustained data transfer rate
Ultra 320 SCSI and 2Gb/s FCAL
.75 Kg max. weight
3.4 Bels typical idle acoustics

About Hitachi Global Storage "

Looks like the sectional density is really helping seeks, and sustained transfers.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
n
o
p
r
o
b
l
e
m
:excl:
:wink:
g
r
e
g

s
a
n
t
i
l
l
i
:mrgrn:

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
It's a bit strange how they (Hitachibm) didn't mention a "future" SAS version. Surely there will be one.

Since they didn't mention a SAS version of this drive, one would have to read into this message that they basically have this 300 GB model ready to go to the OEMs now, and then bit later to everyone else.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Very impressive, but won't Seagate, Maxtor and Fujitsu also have similar drives? I would like a big Cheetah if it is not a long wait. Seagate has been good for me.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
no. not for awhile... IBM/Hitachi is the only manufacturer to use a 5 platter design... maxtor, fujitsu and seagate have not maxed out at 4 for several years on all their 10k and 15k lines...

the trend is to go down in platters, not back up. It will take greater density to get more capcity than IBM/Hitachi.. and that density comes at the cost of seek performance quite often.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I missed the 5 platters, Blake. These drives are a good indication that the technology is progressing. Even 60GB/platter is a healthy increase over the available 36GB/platter 10K drives. The other players may be holding out for 72GB/platter at 10K to achieve the traditional 2x SCSI capacity increments. 36GB/platter at 15K would be nicer yet.