[NEWZ] More On The SAS Front (Maxtor, Seagate)

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance

• LSI Logic Drives Industry's First Serial Attached SCSI Public Demonstration With Maxtor and Seagate

...The demonstrations will connect an LSI Logic SAS controller prototype to an LSI Logic SAS expander prototype. SAS prototype drives from Maxtor and Seagate are in turn connected to the SAS expander prototype. Using full Serial Attached SCSI Protocol (SSP), the SAS controller prototype executes SCSI write and SCSI read commands, with data comparison, across the interface. A SAS analyzer is connected in line to show the traffic being generated at 1.5Gbit/s. The demonstrations also validate out of band and speed negotiation sequences...

Much more at:

http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRel...=MzgwU1ZJPVAkWQEQUALSTOEQUALSTO&storyId=90525

Onomatopoeic

Th'Jojo said:
Aaaahhhh, it's coming......*drool*

Yes, both a high-speed serial channel and FULL-DUPLEX communications with SCSI (unlike today's half-duplex parallel SCSI).

No need for Fibre-Channel inside a server chassis (nor the ridiculous cost of F-C).

......*drool*

Since it's FULL duplex that would drool going down *and* up your chin -- simultaneoulsy. :drl:

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Onomatopoeic said:
Since it's FULL duplex that would drool going down *and* up your chin -- simultaneoulsy. :drl:

:mrgrn:

I've started to get an itch to get some more SCSI stuff, maybe I'll just wait for a while longer...
(Also because I'm so content with my X15-36lp, very cool and quiet compared to some 10k cheetahs I have. )

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i was wondering about this earlier.. dont no if I got a reply.

Would a full duplex interface really be beneficial when the disks themselves are half duplex by design (cannot read/write simultanesouly, even to the buffer)?

I imagine the more independent disks you have, the more beneficial it would be. Along with higher queue depth. But only to a point.

I would think having more channels would be a better solution (and one that's obviously already being implemented)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess the benefit is that the drive could receive commands at the same time as it is sending data down the pipe. No need to "wait" for the drive to become available.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i dont think so... because data goes from the media to the buffer over an internal interface inside the disk drive, the data is then read from the buffer and sent over the interface (SCSI, S-ATA, IDE, whatever) to the controller on the motherboard.

as far as I know memory can either be written to or read from, but not both simultaneoulsy. Meaning that you can have a write, and then a read, but there has to be some time inbetween the two. This is a fundamental design of electronic memory.

So even the buffer is not full duplex by design and thus the drive cannot be sending information from the buffer while receiving commands unless it has seperate buffers for the incoming commands and incoming/outgoing data. To create a truely full deplex disk requires a minimum of two distinct buffers, a 3 buffer design also seems probable.

This seems like a high cost for what, in my mind, is little benefit.

The way IDE has gotten around the problem of being half duplex while maintaining high speed levels with newer disk drives is by using an interface far faster than the media's capabilities. That way there always exists times when data is not being sent from the drive and it's during those times that data can be sent to the drive without negatively impacting the data transfer coming out of the drive.

Ultimately, what seems to be better is to simply use more channels. That way you can have multiple drives reading and writing simultaneously instead of the full duplex operation which only allows reading from one drive and writing to one drive simultaneously.

what are other's thoughts on this?

I know that P-ATA IDE actually transfers commands at a different rate than the user data, but I don't know the specifics, I also don't know if the same condition exists in the SCSI, SAS, or S-ATA interfaces.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe till at least the U160 spec, that the commands and status were sent at a much slower asynchornous rate compared to the synchronous data. This was rectified with U320 by using packetised SCSI, allowing multiple commands to be sent in a single connection.

Onomatopoeic

blakerwry said:
Would a full duplex interface really be beneficial when the disks themselves are half duplex by design (cannot read/write simultanesouly, even to the buffer)?

I imagine the more independent disks you have, the more beneficial it would be. Along with higher queue depth. But only to a point.

Full-duplex communications hasn't anything to do with the drive heads, this only concerns the drive controller circuits and its buffer.

A full-duplex storage device channel *can* be more efficient than a half-duplex channel -- but it depends. A full-duplex channel becomes more beneficial as you begin having higher storage device channel loading. Of course, the host computer needs to be running an operating system capable of multi-threading. In other words, forget MS/DR/PC-DOS and Win9X if you want to take full advantage of full-duplex storage device channels.

I would think having more channels would be a better solution (and one that's obviously already being implemented)

Multiple channels to the same drive? That's not going to gain you anything except complexity and expense. The whole idea is to use a fast simple serial channel physical interface with a communications rate that's higher than the hard drive's media rate -- and in the case of copper, a differential interface and twisted pair cabling with the proper twist ratio that uses common mode rejection -- to reduce various very well-known communication problems that exist with parallel interfaces.

as far as I know memory can either be written to or read from, but not both simultaneoulsy. Meaning that you can have a write, and then a read, but there has to be some time inbetween the two. This is a fundamental design of electronic memory.

Unfortunately, that is not so. Memory devices that simultaneously read AND write have been around for quite a long while. Dual-ported RAM (and there are a LOT of dual-ported memory types out there!) as well as the newer and more complex multi-ported memories can do the job very well indeed.

So even the buffer is not full duplex by design and thus the drive cannot be sending information from the buffer while receiving commands unless it has seperate buffers for the incoming commands and incoming/outgoing data. To create a truely full deplex disk requires a minimum of two distinct buffers, a 3 buffer design also seems probable.

Disc drives don't use a complex split buffer design, just nice efficient reliable ECC FIFO buffers.

This seems like a high cost for what, in my mind, is little benefit.

The benefit of full-duplex communications is absolutely REAL. Fibre-Channel SANs prove that every day.

However, if I could only have one of the following -- full-duplex communications or command queuing -- I'd take command queuing, because I already know that command queuing can bring a greater level of efficiency to hard drive storage throughput than full-duplex communications.

The way IDE has gotten around the problem of being half duplex while maintaining high speed levels with newer disk drives is by using an interface far faster than the media's capabilities. That way there always exists times when data is not being sent from the drive and it's during those times that data can be sent to the drive without negatively impacting the data transfer coming out of the drive.

Actually, way the hell back in the mid-80s when Compaq and Western Digital first came up with the IDE hard drive concept, the target computing environment was the desktop computer running MS-DOS. So, in continuance with what I was talking about earlier, no DOS user needed a hard drive controller or a communications channel that utilised full-duplex communications (in this case, over a parallel cable).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I don't know if you got the gist of everything I was saying.

By having more channels I was talking about having each disk on its own channel or atleast dividing your disks up among different channels. The difference here would be like having a hubbed network(all drives on a single channel) and a switched network(all drives on their own channel).
I guess this is really a moot point because I believe that SA-SCSI, like S-ATA, only allows 1 device per channel anyway. And besides possibly the MCA bus HDD adapters SA-SCSI would be the only interface capable of full duplex operation.

I also realize that when we're talking about full duplex we are talking about the interface, in this case Serial Attached SCSI. However, it does not change the fact that the magnetic media ultimately being accessed is only half duplex.

And as far as I know the memory currently being used in disk drives is SDRAM, I don't know what kind of expense would be required to change that to a dual ported RAM.

Overall, the bottleneck I see is with the disk media itself, not the interface. Even current half duplex interfaces far exceed the abilities of current magnetic HDD media. That is why I would also take command queuing over full duplex operation.

My whole point about this argument is that the only benefit I see to SA-SCSI over S-ATA is that SA-SCSI offers full duplex operation.

Onomatopoeic

blakerwry said:
I don't know if you got the gist of everything I was saying. By having more channels I was talking about having each disk on its own channel or atleast dividing your disks up among different channels.

If you are talking about multiplexing several channel connections to several physical drives as one logical volume, then you are talking about an array with multiple channels. There are many SCSI RAID host adaptors available that will allow you to build an array with say 5 disc drives and 3 SCSI channels, but as one logical volume.

The difference here would be like having a hubbed network(all drives on a single channel) and a switched network(all drives on their own channel).

Well, you have hubs and switches with Fibre-Channel and they should both certainly be available for SAS as well.

I guess this is really a moot point because I believe that SA-SCSI, like S-ATA, only allows 1 device per channel anyway.

SAS has a 128 device address space on each channel just like F-C. Whether or not SAS drive mechanisms will have a second port on hard drives would be something of speculation (a second port along with a differential serial transceiver to repeat the signal on the downstream “B” channel).

And besides possibly the MCA bus HDD adapters SA-SCSI would be the only interface capable of full duplex operation.

PCI and Microchannel busses can both communicate in full-duplex mode, so it doesn’t matter in this respect. All Fibre-Channel host bus adaptors are full-duplex by design, so Serial Attached SCSI would not be the first full-duplex host bus adaptor for storage. Then, of course, there are standard full-duplex GbE network adaptors capable of attaching to an iSCSI SAN (block and packet-based storage; 10GbE as well).

• Onomatopoeic said:
    Full-duplex communications hasn't anything to do with the drive heads, this only concerns the drive controller circuits and its buffer.
    ... this only concerns the drive controller circuits and its buffer ...and the communications transceivers. (sleepy time mistake #1)

Onomatopoeic said:
    Disc drives don't use a complex split buffer design, just nice efficient reliable ECC FIFO buffers.
    ...and with a full-duplex design using a FIFO buffer for transmit and a FIFO buffer for receive. (sleepy time mistake #2)