NEWZ: Seagate Releases 120GB & 100GB 2½ Inch Notebook Dr

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
In my experience, Western Digital and Maxtor ATA drives run hot. They've always been hotter than whatever Deskstar drive I had at the time.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I finally gave in an ordred the 120GB drive from Neweggs. I ma hoing for the best. BTW, does anyone know if there are 137GB limits on the notebook chipsets? I am thinking about upgrading again to that 160GB drive due later this year.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
I finally gave in an ordred the 120GB drive from Neweggs. I ma hoing for the best. BTW, does anyone know if there are 137GB limits on the notebook chipsets? I am thinking about upgrading again to that 160GB drive due later this year.

The short answer is probably yes. Notebook manufacturers tend to take an extreme amount of time to support new feature sets. There are a quite a few who require drives which are configured to not support 48 bit addressing for instance.

On the bright side notebooks will move to SATA eventually (hopefully soon) and with SATA they will be forced to support newer features like 48 bit addressing.

Free

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
freeborn said:
There are a quite a few who require drives which are configured to not support 48 bit addressing for instance.

Brilliant manufacturers. :( I can probably live with 120GB until next spring. By then maybe I can find something to replace my 2-year old, or maybe not. I am concerned that future generations of subnotebooks will all go to 1.8" drives as they gain more capacity. Too many of them already use 1.8" drives as it is.