NF2 Ultra Dual Channel or Single Channel with Different DIMMS

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Got a nice 512MB DIMM for cheap from Merc (Thanks Merc) to add to my brother-in-laws system to give him 1GB.

He has an NF2 Ultra motherboard

The 512MB DDR DIMM I got from Merc is Rosewill. The other DIMM is Kingston.

Can I run dual channel even though they are not identical DIMMS? Or, should I just run them in single channel mode?

Thanks,
C

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Got a nice 512MB DIMM for cheap from Merc (Thanks Merc) to add to my brother-in-laws system to give him 1GB.

He has an NF2 Ultra motherboard

The 512MB DDR DIMM I got from Merc is Rosewill. The other DIMM is Kingston.

Can I run dual channel even though they are not identical DIMMS? Or, should I just run them in single channel mode?

Thanks,
C
As long as they're the same setup, eg number of ranks, number of chips, chip density is the same, and have the same timings, then dual channel shouldn't be a problem...

ddrueding

Fixture
Try it. If it works, then great. If not, then no. This will not damage anything and the results will be immediatly apparent. It will either work or no, instability will not be a problem.

Dr Bombcrater

What is this storage?
They should work just fine in dual-channel mode. The NF2's memory channels are completely independent, apart from the master clock, so Dimms don't need to be identical. They don't even need to be the same capacity; I used to have an NF2 board with a 1GB PC3200 module on one channel and a 256MB PC2700 on the other, and it ran quite happily in dual-channel mode.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
WTF! I thought I paid you already! Sorry about that!! Payment will be sent to your yahoo address immediately.