nForce2 Motherboard Reviews

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I've been looking for reviews on nForce2 motherboards (not on just the reference design). It seems the only reviews out there are for Chaintech (ack) and the Asus (looks nice).

If anybody sees reviews for the Epox or other variants (available on Pricewatch, btw) please post it here or let me know....

Thanks,
C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I'm keeping an eye peeled for Epox EP-8RDA* reviews as well. They only became available in the US/retail last week. NewEgg already has sold out of their first batch.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm interested in reading about ALL nForce2 boards....as long as they use passive cooling for the chipset. Any info out there?

Thanks for the tip on the LeadTech board. It looks interesting but I'm a little shy of Leadtech since they seem new to the M/B business (I think, anway). I am excited about the Epox board though. I really like Epox.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Gro-
Could you provide me with a higher resolution image, please? :p

I really like that Epox board. THere's something about a basic feature set with a attractive heatsink and a green PCB that is just plain cool.

I wish it had SATA though. I'm thinking about selling my 18GB X15-36LP (moving the 36G Atlas 10K III as a boot) and then doing some SATA RAID (probably a dynamic disk stripe) for fun. Maybe I'll just have to get a 3Ware card and try H/W RAID instead... :p I don't want any IDE cables going into my next system except for my optical drives.

I'll probably be dumping just about my whole SMP system soon too....

C

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
How is the graphics implemented in these nVidia-based mobos?

Is the chipset architected such that the G-Force graphics processor interfaces the front side bus directly as opposed to being interfaced into AGP (or: a system-level device as opposed to a peripheral device)?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
Thanks for the article Clocker. After looking at all of the boards, I couldn't find one with a decent layout.

The only thing that really bugs me about all of them is the placement of the AGP slot relative to the memory slots. Looks like the Asus is best in that area but still bad. It seems that adding memory might be a pain without removing your graphics card so i may just load up with about 1GB in the beginning and be done with it. :)

What don't you like? I think I'm going to pick up that Epox soon. I want to read the AT review (hopefully going up tonight) first though.

C

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Dislikes:

ABIT NF7 – Location of ATX connector, Audio connector, FDD connector, Active Cooling, and HDD connectors

ASUS A7N8X – Location of ATX connector and Audio connector

Chaintech 7NJS – Location ATX connector, FDD connector, and Active Cooling.

Epox 8RDA+ - Location of ATX connector, FDD connector, and Audio connector (because I can’t find it)

Leadtek K7NCR18D-pro – Location of ATX connector, FDD connector, and HDD connectors

MSI K7N2 – Location of ATX connector, Audio connector, and HDD connectors

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
logo_generic.gif
title_910a_xtreme.gif

amdnvidia2.gif

product_910a_xtreme.jpg

It's game time. The MicronPC Millennia® 910a Xtreme offers computer gamers and "do-it-yourselfers" the powerful new AMD Athlon™ XP processor, NVIDIA® nForce2 chipset, and DDR 333MHz SDRAM memory technology—plus outstanding features, unhindered performance, breakneck speed—without getting stuck with the software or peripherals they don't need. Add to it all the capability for the latest in content creation...

http://www.micronpc.com/home/store/desktops/product_detail/millennia_910a_xtreme.html

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Clocker, I sent you a PM regarding this topic two days ago. Are you going to read it or wait 'till Christmas? :wink:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Damn...the PM notice isn't popping up...damn NIS2003. I'm getting rid of it.

Sorry..

C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
A couple things that bug me about the asus (1) the power connector is all the way over by the IDE/floppy connectors... why isnt it closer to the CPU? I think this may cause problems in some cases.

(2) Why are they using 2 phase power circuitry when triple phase is better and very common. If I were looking for a board to keep for a couple years I would have hesitations about getting this one. Additionally, I dont want to support throw away computers.

Otherwise I think the Asus loks great. I would love to have one, but I might wait for an alternative.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
The Inquirer ws stating that the Barton will have a 400MHz FSB and that nForce2 already has support for it. Has anybody seen or heard anything to confirm this?