Nforce2 + Non-XP Tbird

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I'd like to do a stepped upgrade to an Nforce2 mobo but keep my Athlon 1200 non-XP processor for now.

Epox support says it "should work fine". Any experiences or hear-say?

Will CPU thermal monitoring be the problem I anticipate? I'd love to get to 166 MHz FSB. My (factory unlocked) 1200 is an AXIA stepping, which is supposed to O/C okay, but my current Abit KT7 can't push it further.

TIA.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think it would work fine, although I have never seen/heard of anyone using a t-bird in a nForce2... but the pin configuration and the voltage ranges are the same, not to mention the multiplier range so there is very little that the motherboard would have to change in order to support the t-bird... 100mHz FSB operation is all.

That processor does run a little hot, so you might want to put a decent cooler on it.

I dont recall if the t-bird had internal temp monitoring or not.... if not, you may have to disable the thermal protection of the mobo... just a thought.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I doubt you'll be able to reach 166MHz FSB with a Thunderbird, even if it's unlocked. I heard some have been able, but it is rarissim. I don't remember what was the marking of the last T'bird to be produced, but they were the best overclockers of the family since they were made on the same process as the Palomino. If you have one of those, then your chances will be better.

In the event that you succeed to reach the 166MHz FSB frequency, then use 2 PC2700 memory sticks and run your memory at the same frequency as your front side bus. That's the way you'll get the best performances out of your nForce2 motherboard.

IMO, 9x 166MHz should be your goal as I don't think 10x or even 9.5x will be reasonnably possible. That would give you a 1.5GHz Athlon, not bad at all.

Newtun

Thanks for the replies so far.

I intend to get 2 PC2700 DIMMs and run memory and FSB sync-ed at 166 if possible, otherwise at 133 (the FSB of my current Tbird [which the KT7 doesn't support, of course]), until I can get either a 166 FSB Tbred or an unlocked 133 one (either hard-unlocked, or Epox BIOSoft-unlocked) at a good price.

I have a Volcano 6Cu that's currently keeping the CPU in the low 40° C range, and I'd like to keep it fairly cool in the new mobo, so I can return it to the KT7 when I upgrade to a Tbred after their prices drop.

My current CPU doesn't have internal temp monitoring, and I assume the Nforce2 boards don't have thermal monitoring in the socket, but rely on the CPU's internal monitoring.

If that's true, I may keep the multiplier lower than the highest value the CPU might work well and cool-ly at, like maybe 8×, even though the AXIA stepping is supposedly a good O/Cer, and 9× or more may possible. Still a decent 11% O/C to 1333 MHz.

Thanks again.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
My AXIA 1GHz hit 1400 with a regular Thermoengine heatsink and stock voltage. Who knows how much higher it would have gone if the damn cooler hadn't fallen off and the CPU burned to a crisp :(

Newtun

According to replies to my cross-post at SR, the ASUS Nforce2 boards have a (retro) socket thermister, so I could get an indication of my 1200's temps. Since I've heard ASUS mobo's bad-mouthed recently, and Epox (maybe) has that soft-unlocking BIOS thing, I'm looking longingly at the EP-8RDA. Hope EPOX has the socket thermal probe like the ASUS.

Thanks, and sorry about your 1G, Mc². (Too bad you didn't have it on video - big £¥$ from Tom's :).) But the good news - excuse to upgrade. Those eMRGNC upgrades are sometimes the hardest, though - can't wait on a good bargain.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Problem was, I was going to upgrade anyway. I had it running at 1400 or thereabouts for 6 months or more, and just put in the auction for it. It fried, melted the CPU socket (Kt7a binned) and filled the room with lots of white smoke.

Thats what you get when you mess with the heatsink on an Athlon, turn it on, and go downstairs to make yourself a sandwitch. :roll: