No New Windows 10 Feature Updates For My P50

Piyono

Storage is cool
This is an edited cross-post from a thread I started on the Lenovo forums (to no avail, yet):

Windows Update on my P50 has detected no new feature updates since 1803. Not 1809, not 1903.
Security and other updates appear regularly.

I realize I can manually update but I'd like to know why the updates are not being rolled out to my machine.
I'm not deferring updates and I'm using the 'Targeted' release channel. I've run the system file checker
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I have seen this myself on some systems...

My understanding is that MS changed some of the rules of when feature updates are pushed, for example they are not pushed if the users relies on the automatic updates feature and never goes into the control panel and manually checks for updates.

Also the window for when, the user manually checks for updates and feature updates being offered varies by geographically location (something to ease load on MS servers). If a user only manually checks for updates, say only every 6 months, they may miss their window. (This is one of the rumoured reasons for why it's not being offered on manual checks, there is nothing official from MS regarding this).

Also, there are some checks for drivers/versions for compatibility reasons, which may block the update from being offered...

If in doubt, use the Windows Update Assistant to pull in the latest feature update...

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Piyono

Storage is cool
I check for updates rather frequently so I doubt I've missed any kind of window.
I've wondered if it's a compatibility thing that Lenovo quietly reported to Microsoft behind the scenes, which makes me hesitant to use the WUA. I'm not as adventurous as I once was. The thought of crippling Windows and having to reformat and reinstall and restore settings and stuff gives me mild anxiety. Funny what 20 years of servicing other people's machines will do to one's psyche.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I did a little more digging and found several reports of feature updates not appearing. There's plenty of speculation but nobody seems to have a clear understanding of why this happens. I guess I'll just update manually.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Today Windows Update greeted me with a new message:
Capture.JPG
It's almost as though Microsoft heard my cries and reached out to assure me that this machine is still in the update queue.
I have not been forsaken!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'd be quite glad to not receive the MS enforceable updates.