No Stone Unturned

ddrueding

Fixture
I hate what Americans are doing to themselves these days. A small airplane/helicopter crashed into a building in Manhattan this morning, and everyone first jumped to terrorism. Stupid.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
A small airplane/helicopter crashed into a building in Manhattan this morning, and everyone first jumped to terrorism...

The radio sez (well, 20 minutes ago) that it was a NY Yankees pitcher that was piloting the aircraft.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't really care. I listened for about 5 minutes and then put in a CD. 2 people dying and a bunch of people being inconvinenced many thousands of miles away is so irrelevant to be pathetic. I would care as much if you informed me how many ants I accidentally stepped on getting out of my car. People die all the time, accidents happen all the time, and it affects me not at all; except for not being able to carry rocks onto airplanes.

Sol

Storage is cool
This kind of insanity annoys me... Apart from anything else in todays climate of fear regarding the possibility of someone attempting to hijack a plane and crash it in to something or someone I suspect that one wouldn't be able to successfully hijack a plane if allowed to get on board with a 9mm pistol and a hunting knife. The fact is that one (or even 10) person (people), no matter how well armed is fairly unlikely to be able take on several hundred airline passengers who are entirely convinced that they will die if they fail to stop the person.
Or at the very least they shouldn't be able to. Logic would suggest that it should be very hard to frighten people into submission when submission means certain death and fighting back means just the possibility (and unless they have a gun not a particularly great probability) of death or serious injury. In a one on 200-300 or so fight, even in the cramped space of a cabin I don't give the one guy much of a chance of even causing any serious injuries, rock or no rock...

Maybe I play too many strategy games and am too used to the idea of acceptable casualties but I'll happily be the first to tackle the terrorist with the box cutter if it means not getting smashed into a building, blown up and incinerated, I know which I'm more likely to survive...

ddrueding

Fixture
Thats my thought on the matter as well, Sol. The only way to do it these days would be to destroy the airplane immediatly; hijacking is impossible. And we have laptop batteries for that....