No video but not dead...

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a little Intel BOXDH57JG system with onboard video. It starts up, give a beep, and the num/caps/scroll buttons remain responsive, but no video. I've tried both a AMD 5450 and a brand-new 6750, no video there, either. I've tried resetting the bios, and tested both the DVI and HDMI onboard connections (no VGA).

At the moment it is completely stripped down; just the board, CPU, RAM, and PSU. This was a known working system when I pulled it and changed hard drives.

Any thoughts?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
If no video, with multiple different video cards (including onboard) and different cables then check the monitor. Just as a side note, if there is absolutely no video how did you reset the bios setup (by memory of key strokes with appropiate pauses?) or are you getting video before Windows takes over?

Swap the HD back and see if that change actually mattered.

ddrueding

Fixture
I should have mentioned I've tried different monitors and cables, using every combination I have. I can't swap back the other hard drive, but at the moment there is no hard drive connected at all. I reset the BIOS by removing the battery for 30 minutes with power disconnected. Just to confirm, there is no video ever, the monitor never receives any signal and goes to sleep if configured to.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Have you tried moving the BIOS jumper to the 'Maintenance' (?) pins?
If you don't get video in one port, try moving the cable to another while the system is up.
It could be that the BIOS has been set to a particular video slot instead of 'Auto'. It might take two or three reboots for the BIOS to figure it out.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually resorted to known-good monitors connected to every port on the motherboard and any expansion cards just in case. I didn't see the maintenance pins on the board, but I'll try that tomorrow when I get back to work.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
First, check the power plugs into the MB and if no joy, then swap out the PS followed by the CPU/RAM and ending with the MB till you can find the failed component.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMM.

Mine was bad ram, and bad memory controller on the cpu.

Or might be something on the motherboard that made a prior ram configuration
not work?