NOD 32 slowing down my internet connection...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I recently upgraded to cable 5.8 mb/sec, sometimes. Astound.

What I've found is that for some reason, NOD 32 is slowing my uploads down. I put it on pretty much max protection settings, and, it was a notice able difference from default settings.

Currently running Default, and, it seems to work well.

Suggestions.?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Lots of things will slow down an internet connection. Home routers generally do. So does antivirus software.

This is why a lot of techies don't like or bother with Antivirus software.

ddrueding

Fixture
I like NOD32, and install it on every machine that I work on, but I don't have any AV on mine. Of course, if anything goes wrong I thoroughly deserve it.

Handruin

Administrator
I've been running NOD32 on my home system and I can still get the full 2Mb upload that is offered from my ISP.

Slightly side tracking a bit:
What helped tremendously for downloads was upgrading my router. My old netgear couldn't keep up with my cable internet speeds (16Mb down) so I looked long and hard and never thought I'd buy a d-link, but the DIR-665 had some of the best WAN=>LAN and LAN=>WAN transfer speeds tested by this site. It has gigE on all 5 ports (and even supports jumbo frames). Anyway, I'm very happy with it and never thought to even consider a d-link in the past. Time will tell if it lasts but so far it's great and hasn't done anything strange yet like my previous netgear has done.

Even more impressive was that the 655 did indeed live up to D-Link's claims for simultaneous session handling. When Ixia recently generously upgraded my version of IxChariot to 6.40, they also increased the number of pairs from 180 to 200. I found that the 655 handled the 200 simultaneous sessions with ease and probably could have done more if I had the ability to try it! This is a first for any wired or wireless routers that I've tested.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Pulling a sysco switch out of the system seems to have cut the ping time in half.

You know what's really weird, is school has an internet connection that is 25 ms ping, and 25 mb/sec. Yes, that's not a typo. 25 mb/sec.

WTF??????

Also, since the modem has a firewall, I turned off Windows firewall, enabled Nod 32, and, it seems to work fine. Ping around 25...Much snappier....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
25 millibits per second is indeed pretty slow.

m = milli (thousandths)
u (well, μ, if that character shows up) = micro (millionths)
M = mega (millions)

b = bits, the standard unit for data transmissions
B = Bytes

Just feeling a little pedantic.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"You know what's really weird, is school has an internet connection that is 25 ms ping, and 25 mb/sec. Yes, that's not a typo. 25 mb/sec.
"
OK. Not a typo just inaccurate. 25ms and 25 MB/sec.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Well, that just shows what a great community this is. Tannin, the Storage Forum House Pedant himself, take a few weeks off for a photography trip, and Mercutio steps up to the plate and looks after things while he is away. That's great teamwork!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMMM. NOW I'm supposed to listen to an orange semi human....

Seems to me the cat already runs the house: bowling ball, 15 pounds, with claws and teeth...