Noise Cancellation

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yeah, I know there were some old threads, but I cannot find a good pair of in-ear, active noise-reducing headphones. I had a few pairs of the Turtle Beach, but they have died/been damaged by various mishaps over the years. Basically I need some that would help cut engine noise and maintain sanity on RDU to SFO (connecting who knows where) or similar flights.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Not really a
I'd suggest you look at In Ear Monitors instead. They don't use batteries, they're smaller, and have better noise canceling properties (since they're basically earplugs that play sound).

LunarMist

I have some of those, even some overpriced ones. What I want is the ear-plugging "buds" style that also has the active noise cancellation. The two together are better for the jet engines. In other situations I use the passive ear-plugging type.

LunarMist

I have no idea what they are. It will not load. There is no point in me spending that much for the airplane sound. However, I would not trust Logitech for anything. :p
$100 is the limit since they will break after a while anyway.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a cheap pair of Sennheiser in-ear monitors that I use when I'm in server rooms and high noise areas. I think they're CX-500s. Cost about $35. They work very well as hearing protection even if I'm not listening to anything.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
This topic crossed my mind again recently, basically what I want to know are the noise cancellation headphones out now as good or better than some simple foamy earplugs? The rating methods between the two don't compare, which is on purpose I guess.

I have tons of work safety 29 and 31 db rated foamy earplugs that I have been using on flights and in server rooms and they work pretty good. The Comply Foam Tx-500 are nearly as good but not quite as good as the foamy plugs but they have no rating to compare either, but at least with them I can listen to something.

LunarMist

I have several kinds and they are not as good as foam if you simply want noise reduction. The noise cancellation only works at some frequencies. I usually use the low volume range on the mp3 player to avoid potential damage.

Stereodude

Not really a
This topic crossed my mind again recently, basically what I want to know are the noise cancellation headphones out now as good or better than some simple foamy earplugs? The rating methods between the two don't compare, which is on purpose I guess.

I have tons of work safety 29 and 31 db rated foamy earplugs that I have been using on flights and in server rooms and they work pretty good. The Comply Foam Tx-500 are nearly as good but not quite as good as the foamy plugs but they have no rating to compare either, but at least with them I can listen to something.
You should look at in ear monitors instead. They offer noise reduction similar in characteristic to foam ear plugs, but can play audio, don't need batteries, and are much smaller.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have that now with UE triplefi plus the comply foam tips. The isolation is very good and so is the sound but they are a little uncomfortable after a couple hours and I was thinking of switching to something else.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Those look exactly like the set of three sizes I got with some sony IEM's. I couldn't find one that would both stay in the ear and seal well but the large did come very close, basically they just get really slippery. On the comfort thing I think that's the triplefis fault, they are rather huge. It doesn't bother me till I hit say two or three hours with them but after that I need a rest and my ears are a bit sore. Sort of the same with regular earplugs too so I was sort of looking elsewhere from IEM.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The newer grey foam tips fit my old UEs. They work much better and are more comfortable than the yellow tips.