Norton System Works Pro 2001 and W2K SP4

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Handruin said:
I know a few people here have given NOD32 decent praise, is it really worth switching over to?

It's price is kind of steep (no coupons that I know of): $39 US
Upgrades every year are kind of high too: $27.30 US
You do not get virus signature updates when your license is up.
To get updates they give you a username and password to log into their update site.

But based on my 3 months experience with version 2 I would say it is absolutely worth the money. I've installed it and don't even have to think about it. It just updates when I dial-up and scans my e-mail before it gets to my inbox.

Of course I never really had a virus. So I haven't had to test it yet.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have even done the "incorrect" anti-virus fix with NOD32 several times, and it has worked. I've received a customer's machine that was infected, downloaded and installed NOD32 on that infected machine and ran the utility. It found and cleaned all of the infected files. I can always check by removing the HDD and plugging it in as a slave to a machine that already is clean and running NOD32.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Tea said:
Would one of the mods mind fixing the thread width, BTW? Even at fairly high-res (1180, I think) it's a bit of a pain to horizontal scroll all the time, and it's a good thread.

? Just using IE here, looks good to me? Unless someone has already done something? I'm using 1k*768 resolution.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm trying to contain my annoyance with Firebird right now, too. I have similar problems with Moz 1.4.

(What's wrong with firebird? Simple stuff. With Moz I can specify the number of times an animation happens, if at all. I can also change the default cache directory - I usually move it up to a top level directory. Firebird doesn't have any email integration at all, so I can't right-click to send to an email message. There's no way to turn off form autocomplete in Firebird right now, so when I visit google, all the crap I've searched before shows up.
It's still the next-generation browser for us Moz people, but I really want the next generation product to be a lot more like the program I'm used to than the program I'm getting right now).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I've edited the first post. I changed the third link so that it is between tags. Could someone please test if the thread is better now? About to download firebird...

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hey you bunch of facists! Why did you edit my post! ? Don't you like 1739 x 1310 ? :D

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
I've been installing AVG on the parent's machines that I support.
Why no NOD32? Price mainly. Otherwise I would install it without a thought.
But I think I'm going to present the case to them to buy a decent Anti-Virus.

AVG is not too good about updates.
You _have_ to make updates seamless and that require no user intervention.
AVG doesn't do that. It updates at a set time. If your computer is off, too bad. If you aren't connected to the internet, too bad. But what do you expect, it is free.

Mercutio

The JoJo said:
About to download firebird...

Most of my complaints have at least a partial solution in the Advanced Prefs tab. It's just... just very organized. Haven't found a setting to turn off autocomplete, either.

Firebird starts faster than IE on the computer I'm using right now, by probably 3 - 5 seconds.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
The JoJo said:
About to download firebird...

Most of my complaints have at least a partial solution in the Advanced Prefs tab. It's just... just very organized. Haven't found a setting to turn off autocomplete, either.

Firebird starts faster than IE on the computer I'm using right now, by probably 3 - 5 seconds.

Damn...is that a pretty slow PC? IE6 only takes about 1-1.5 seconds to load here...

Since we will be moving from Nutscrape to Mozilla 1.2 at work on our HPUX boxes, I'm thinking about loading Mozilla or Firebird on my home machine. If FBird is that much faster than IE it would have load instantly on my home machine....

SteveC

Storage is cool
Firebird & IE both load in about 1-2 seconds on my PC. I really can't tell much of a speed difference between the two.

Mercutio

The machine in question is an XP2500 with 512MB RAM running 2000 Server.

Perhaps because I'm not a regular IE user, it takes longer to start up the first time. Firebird loads more or less instantly (maybe 1 second delay). IE definitely does not, requiring about 8 seconds before the window is even drawn. Moz takes about 15 seconds to start on the same machine.

Handruin

Administrator
I think server also gives less CPU time to forground applications unless you changed that. Saying that it gives less is probably not the correct way to describe it, but the server platform gives equal priority to forground and background apps, so there may be a slight delay I would think.

Would that have any affect on the loading performance? Not that it really matters.

I've noticed firebired loads faster than mozilla does. It takes about 2 seconds for firebird to load and 3.5 for Moz.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i've had probs on 2k (and I think even on XP) where after loading some of the IE service packs and fixes IE loads like crap.. sounds like Mercs situation.

Before the patches = instant. After patches = crap. Even moz loads faster.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Tea said:
Not to disagree with E_Dawg, but ... well ... to disagree with E_Dawg ....

[...]

Speeddisk? Who cares about a defragger when to install it you have to install an incredible collection of poxy, overblown, all-show and no-go other crud. Every time I see a sick computer with that stupid, screen-hogging, RAM-destroying Norton System Doctor control panel on it, I uninstall the damn thing - and one time out of two, that particular computer ain't sick any more. It stops crashing, runs heaps faster, and I get Tannin to deliver his #7 "How not to bugger up your computer" lecture.

Err ... shall I go on?

Perhaps not. But this is probably a good place to mention that if you ever suddenly need to find a computer that is really, really stuffed up, one with 117 tasks running on start up, three different anti-virus programs running (none of them up to date), moronic sound effects on absolutely everything, zooming desktops, Gator, Kazaa, BonzoBuddy, RealPlayer, Quickslime, Internet Assistant, Download Accellerator, MSN Messenger, ICQ, Netscape Messenger, and 17 other useless pop-ups all running at once, and as much other assorted spyware as James Bond never dreamed of .... just ring around looking for a machine with Norton System Works installed.

LOL! A classic rant from our long-armed one :)

-----------

I have also been advocating a minimalist install of NSW (NAV and SpeedDisk ONLY, with any auto-anything function DISABLED) for years both on SR and SF (in fact, you must have read a post or two from me about that over the years). From my experience, it has always been possible to selectively install only the components you want. And you don't even have to use CityK's trick of installing from individual application install folders either. The install wizard allows you to choose exactly what you want.

Let's not bad-mouth software when we don't know how to install/configure it "properly". It would be like me bad-mouthing Linux because I couldn't get several distros to work properly. Don't get me wrong -- I complained about Linux as a desktop OS in the past, but I made sure that I always added a disclaimer that it could have been my inexperience with Linux or hardware incompatibilities.