Not a lot of people using BitTorrent

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm currently downloading the second installation ISO disc of Slackware 9.1 (knowing that I won't be able to install it - text mode installation sucks) through BitTorrent and I only get 1-2KiB/s download speed. Slackware, although far from being as popular as it once was, should still have a large enough user base to give me a better transfer rate than that just one or two days after the official release of version 9.1.

BitTorrent doesn't work great for me.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you find a tracker for a popular movie, you'd be surprised how fast bittorrent works. I downloaded a 3GB screener of Terminator 3 in 20 minutes earlier this summer.
The problem is finding decent trackers.

Slackware would probably be faster to grab off an FTP site. It's not THAT popular. Mandrake and RedHat releases tend to melt internet servers, which is why the torrents are so damned useful.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmm, I once started with slack, but haven't tried it for years...

Yes, this is deffinitely a good time to try it out (My WinXp melted, and I nuked it in favour of a bigger partition for my RH ;) AAAAAhhhhhh, that felt good!). :mrgrn:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And I've just understood why so few people use BitTorrent. Although I surprised myself and have been able to go through most of the installation process (it's not that hard), the setup failed because many applications had fatal errors when the installer tried to put them on my hard disk drive. Since I was pretty sure it wasn't my fault, I decided to test both the CD (passed) and the iso files I got by BitTorrent. All three discs I downloaded through it had wrong md5sum. Now I have to redownload them again via FTP from one of the few web sites that has it.

Mothers, please tell your children
Not to do what I have done
It only brings pain and misery
To download thru BitTorrent

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Took me four or five complete ISO downloads before I finally got a correct md5sum for the first Slackware 9.1 disc. Yet, I still end up with an error in Perl and one in Abiword during the installation. I don't give a shit, I don't use either anyway.

Slackware refused to copy Lilo in the MBR at first when I created the boot loader myself during the first installation attempt. Second time, I tried to leave the installer create automatically the boot loader. No error message, but my system boots automatically in Windows without giving me the choice of booting Linux.

Why is it so hard for distro makers to make one that actually works? What is so immoral in creating an installer that follows the simple click, yes, next, next, ok, click, next, ok, finish(reboot) rule?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you're using Linux, you're using perl. A lot.

And RedHat and Suse both install really easily. I imagine Mandrake does, too, not that I've tried.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've never had a problem, perhaps it's your package selection? for safeness just install everything (if possible).

perl shouldn't be too hard to sintall using a package manager.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
I've never had a problem, perhaps it's your package selection? for safeness just install everything (if possible).
I did install everything.

Yes, Anaconda and Drake are easy to get tru, but hélas, both latest distro of Red Hat and Mandrake didn't configure the integrated LAN of the MCP (nFarce2 motherboard) correctly and refused to use it as a network peripheral despite the fact that both detected it. I was hoping that Slackware would fare better.