Now Blue-Ray is dead???

ddrueding

Fixture
I can appreciate the argument made in the article, but the counter-argument was that this will be the last disk format. Even if it isn't the format for all movies and games, it will the the cheap format for small-ish amounts of data for a really long time. Anyone care to guess how long it will be before you can buy a 50GB thumbdrive for the same as a blank optical disk?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It seems like a load of marketing BS. What happens when the crappy flash drive fails? How many different formats would there be? How does one play all the DVD and BD disks already owned?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I would like to get an external Blu-Ray burner (dual layer) to archive all my pictures as well as do the same for my relatives. But the drives seem super expensive. Any idea how long they take to burn a (25GB or 50GB) disk?

Stereodude

Not really a
I would like to get an external Blu-Ray burner (dual layer) to archive all my pictures as well as do the same for my relatives. But the drives seem super expensive. Any idea how long they take to burn a (25GB or 50GB) disk?
Is something wrong with using multiple DVDs, or getting an external HD?

1x in Blu-Ray speak is 36Mbps, so 4.5Mbytes/sec... Most "fast" drives are 4x, so 18Mbytes/sec. 25gig for a single layer is about 24 minutes (assuming CLV). Double that for a DL. The LG dual format is one of the the fastest and is the cheapest Blu-Ray burner around. link

It can be had for as little as $280. An external case will cost you about $50.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Is something wrong with using multiple DVDs, or getting an external HD?

Thanks for the link. I have about 90GB (& growing) of stuff to backup so dvds will be a pain. I already have stuff backed up to external drives but I also want a reliable easy to store offline/offsite backup that is safer than one of those. Blu-Ray seems like the best option but maybe there are better options I'm not aware of.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
6x BD-R is just around the corner and 8x speeds should be with us in the mass market by 2010.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
If the Holo-Disc format was pushed out to market properly, it could easily kill off BlueRay and stay relevant for a decade or more.

A 5.25-inch Holo-Disc can have a sustained transfer rate as high as the fastest hard drive and hold a terabyte (or more) of data. You could have multiple movies on one disc in today's HD format, or your favourite 2-hour movie in 4:4:4 uncompressed format.