NVIDIA 3D GLASSES????

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, if you can feed your Vizio a 120Hz signal, then all you need are the glasses. No need for another monitor.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've contacted Nvidia and here's what they said:
Hello Gregory,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer care.

This is Sunil, assisting you with the query you have.

I understand from your email that you would like to know if the Vizio XVT 120HZ 37" monitor will be compatible with NVIDIA 3D vision.

Thank you very much for your interest in our product line. For NVIDIA 3D Vision you need to have specific 3D monitors and TV. Please find below a list of 3D Ready display devices that are compatible with the NVIDIA 3D Vision. Please note that these display devices are tested and approved to be used with the NVIDIA 3D Vision:

3D Vision-Ready Displays

" 1920x1080 Desktop Displays

o ACER GD245HQ 120 Hz LCD display
o ACER GD235HZ 120 Hz LCD display
o Alienware OptX AW2310 120 Hz LCD display

" 1680x1050 Desktop Displays

o Samsung® SyncMaster 2233RZ 120 Hz LCD display
o ViewSonic® FuHzion™ VX2265wm 120 Hz LCD display
o 100 Hz and higher analog CRTs

" HDTVs

o Mitsubishi® 1080p DLP® Home Theater TV: WD-57833, WD-60735, WD-60737, WD-60C8, WD-60C9, WD-65735, WD-65736, WD-65737, WD-65C8, WD-65C9, WD-65833, WD-65835, WD-65837, WD-73735, WD-73736, WD-73737, WD-73833, WD-73835, WD-73837, WD-73C8, WD-73C9, WD-82737, WD-82837, L65-A90
o Mitsubishi 1080p LaserVue TV: L65-A90
o Generic DLP HDTV mode

" Projectors

o Acer X1130P
o Acer X1261
o Acer H5360
o DepthQ® HD 3D Projector by LightSpeed Design, Inc.
o DQ-3120 by LightSpeed Design, Inc.
o ViewSonic PJD-6210-3D
o ViewSonic PJD-6220-3D
o ViewSonic PJD-PJD5351-3D
o ViewSonic PJD-PJD5111-3D

Also, please be informed that there are LCD and HDTVs that are on the market that claim to display at 120 Hz refresh rate, but only accept a 60 Hz input signal over HDMI or dual-link DVI. These type of displays use framerate conversion or backlight flashing to convert 60 Hz signals into 120 Hz and it may not work or give the right output.

Therefore, I am sorry to say that at this time NVIDIA has not officially tested and released a driver that supports Vizio XVT 120HZ 37" monitor.

Also, I suggest you to visit the below mentioned link to find more information about the GeForce 3D Vision, wherein, you will find information about the system requirements, features and etc:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_Main.html and

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_Requirements.html

Please get in touch with us, if you need further assistance and I would be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Sunil,
NVIDIA Customer Care

I'm wondering it that is a comment about my monitor using backlight flashing to get 120 MHZ?

Does Mitsubishi own Nvidia?

I'm trying to find out if the XVT from Vizio is supported. Appears they have to write a driver for it, as well?

GS

ddrueding

Fixture
There are quite a few monitors out there that say 120Hz, but don't receive 120FPS. Instead they receive 60FPS and flash the same image twice in a row. All the displays that advertise 240Hz are 120s that do this (stupid) thing.

Stereodude

Not really a
Instead they receive 60FPS and flash the same image twice in a row.
They do not flash the same image twice. They have a fancy image processor that creates new and unique intermediate frames that would fall between the frames it receives via the inputs.

ddrueding

Fixture
They do not flash the same image twice. They have a fancy image processor that creates new and unique intermediate frames that would fall between the frames it receives via the inputs.

I stand corrected. I still consider it pretty misleading to call them 120hz if they can't accept 120FPS from the source.

Stereodude

Not really a
Not really... They do update the panel at 120Hz. That allows you to display 24Hz film based content without having the 3:2 judder pattern (if you disable the fancy processing), or you can use the motion interpolation processing to reduce motion blur.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Problem is all those Mitsubishis are REAL expensive....or too big.

All the monitors are too small. It doesn't look good.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
3D glasses can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting and worse.

ddrueding

Fixture
3D glasses can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting and worse.

That depends quite a bit on the equipment and setup you are using. My last visit to a 3D movie was Avatar at the local cinema. They had the stupid blue/red glasses and something was out of sync. I had a headache within 30 minutes.

The technology I would be interested is "active" shutter glasses. Most of the distasteful bits are removed, in exchange for paying $100-200 for each set of glasses.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That depends quite a bit on the equipment and setup you are using. My last visit to a 3D movie was Avatar at the local cinema. They had the stupid blue/red glasses and something was out of sync. I had a headache within 30 minutes.

The technology I would be interested is "active" shutter glasses. Most of the distasteful bits are removed, in exchange for paying $100-200 for each set of glasses.

That's what the Nvidia glasses are.

I guess I could return the Vizio 37".

So the 240's actually take a 120 MHZ signal?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm wondering it that is a comment about my monitor using backlight flashing to get 120 MHZ?

Does Mitsubishi own Nvidia?

I'm trying to find out if the XVT from Vizio is supported. Appears they have to write a driver for it, as well?

The listed Mitsu TVs use DLP technology, they actually take a checkerboard type sequence as an input, and have been advertised as "3D-ready" ever since they launched several years ago. The driver in question chooses which type of 3D sequencing to use based on the technology of the display device.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

The state of play with 3D and consumer electronics appears to be:

RealD 3D, using active shutter glasses. This is what Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba are using. Not related to the circular polarised devices they use in cinemas.

Vizio is going with XpanD 3D, active shutter glasses synced via Bluetooth.

Both should allow viewers that are not located directly in front of the display to experience the 3D effect. Ideally one of these companies would release a 1080p resolution wearable set of glasses.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The state of play with 3D and consumer electronics appears to be:

RealD 3D, using active shutter glasses. This is what Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba are using. Not related to the circular polarised devices they use in cinemas.

Vizio is going with XpanD 3D, active shutter glasses synced via Bluetooth.

Both should allow viewers that are not located directly in front of the display to experience the 3D effect. Ideally one of these companies would release a 1080p resolution wearable set of glasses.

Vizio emailed the TV will come out in about Summer. Didn't mention the glasses...

From the alternatives, I hope they don't 'fix' the settings to Nvidia's preset...

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hello Gregory,

Thank you for updating.

I would like to inform you here that it is the expected behavior of the Samsung monitor as the 3D mode requires more brightness. Also, when in 3D mode the color or brightness cannot be changed.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please feel free to contact us for any further clarifications.

Best regards,
Sunil,
NVIDIA Customer Care
Customer (Gregory Santilli) 03/06/2010 12:26 AM
Sunil:
"Whenever you enter 3D Stereo mode, the brightness is locked at 100 (the
awful blaring maximum), and the contrast is locked at 75. Oh, and by the
way, all other color settings are locked and brought to a godawful pre-set
as well.
After a brief conversation with someone from Nvidia, I've learned that
Nvidia worked with Samsung to enforce this pre-set so the first 3D Vision
monitor wouldn't have too many customer complaints, under the assumption
that too many people would alter the brightness outside of levels workable
with 3D Vision, not knowing how to return it.
I was a bit perturbed to say the least when I learned that Nvidia didn't
think 'advanced' users (if you call being able to change brightness
advanced) should be able to decide for themselves what settings are fine
with 3D Vision, and instead gave everyone the same pre-set which leaves much
to be desired.
Other Thoughts: 3D Vision aside, this is still a great monitor. However
considering 3D Vision is one of this monitor's main purposes and it frankly
needs work in that area, I can't give it more than a 3 egg. If you're
looking to get a 3D Vision display, your best option is a DLP TV. Even the
Viewsonic monitor doesn't let you change color/brightness when in 3D, just
like this one. Nvidia got to them too =/ "
Is this true? Why?
Sincerely
Gregory Santilli

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I was a bit perturbed to say the least when I learned that Nvidia didn't think 'advanced' users (if you call being able to change brightness advanced) should be able to decide for themselves what settings are fine with 3D Vision, and instead gave everyone the same pre-set which leaves much to be desired.

Priceless, Greg. :lol:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Time: I wish I could take credit for the prose, but, it's not mine. It was from a review by someone didn't post their name, that wrote this in a review. You'll notice I ended it, and then asked it this was true, and why?

Thanks for the links, Time. I would certainly like more information before I start screwing with my brains ability to determine depth perception.

David:

Haven't tried it. 200 bucks for glasses, plus my monitor is maxed at 60 MHZ, I think.
They said the XVT wasn't fast enough, and, I'm pretty much positive the 2233 isn't.

This is a case where being on the cutting edge might open up a huge, real wound...