Odd monitor issue

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a computer that is built into an industrial trailer, no way to move. It is connected to two monitors via a simple VGA splitter. One of the monitors is built-in to a wall, the other is sitting near the server.

The monitor in the wall works fine, the monitor near the server works for about 2 seconds when you turn it on, then goes black. I have:

-replaced the monitor with a much better one
-replaced the VGA cable several times
-removed the VGA splitter
-rebooted the machine
-changed resolutions
-changed drivers

No matter what, the one on the wall works and the one near the server doesn't.

Has anyone had this issue before?

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, and the monitor stays on, and shows that it is getting a signal. Every time I disconnect/reconnect the VGA or turn off/on the monitor, the image is flawless for (just timed it) 2/3rds of a second.

ddrueding

Fixture
Changing the video card would be difficult, as this is a video surveillance appliance running XP embedded.

The monitor that I swapped out that now doesn't work used to sit on my desk and never had any issues til now.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have to leave this site now, so this will have to wait for another day. The next time I come out, I will bring as generic a video card as possible to try a swap.

Thank you for your help!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yup, and the monitor stays on, and shows that it is getting a signal. Every time I disconnect/reconnect the VGA or turn off/on the monitor, the image is flawless for (just timed it) 2/3rds of a second.

So, lets get this straight, even with the in wall monitor disconnected, there is still the problem with the monitor near the server going blank when it's the only monitor connected, both new and older monitor you replaced?

I note you did not mention changing the graphics card itself.

What about re-seating the card, to make sure there is a strong signal (oxidation on contacts?)

I bought some of this Deoxit stuff for flakey intercom, super heavy duty oxidation, didn't help much, but the site for Deoxit mentions/shows picture of the stuff being applied to a graphics card....ah crap, can't find the picture---internet connection too slow to do quick searches, maybe it was on the backside of the cell phone kit I bought?

http://store.caig.com/s.nl?sc=2&category=836&search=cell%20phone

Have you tried connecting the monitor to different computer?

^^^that would point to graphics card problem...perhaps.

*edit* wait, you can't go now, I can't type that fast :D

ddrueding

Fixture
So, lets get this straight, even with the in wall monitor disconnected, there is still the problem with the monitor near the server going blank when it's the only monitor connected, both new and older monitor you replaced?

Correct. The monitor on the wall always works and the monitor near the computer always goes black. Same behavior with the VGA splitter or with only one of the monitors attached directly to the card. I did fiddle with it a bit, and the card is very securely set in the board.

ddrueding

Fixture
Oh, I forgot to mention, 800x600x32.

I can't see how software could tell which monitor is connected, because it works with one and not the other, no matter how many times I switch them around.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Well XP detects what type of monitor you have. You can install inf files for monitors that usually tell it what resolution and frequencies it supports. Maybe it is trying to push a frequency or something the other monitor doesn't support. What monitor is in the wall?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Some kind of EMI interference? Relocate the monitor near the server to another place (perhaps near the wall monitor) and see what happens.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Changing the video card would be difficult, as this is a video surveillance appliance running XP embedded.

The monitor that I swapped out that now doesn't work used to sit on my desk and never had any issues til now.

Does this monitor work on the desk anymore or did the testing kill it?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm telling you it is the refresh rate. The monitor in the wall is probably an old CRT and the refresh rate is set to something higher than 60Hz. So LCD monitors can't take that signal over a vga splitter.