Oh hello there!

HisMajestyTheKing

What is this storage?
I finally got around to register here. Some people said there's less "static" on these forums - a euphemism for BS? Hello to everyone.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Welcome, your Majesty.

Static, signal to noise--there are lots of euphemisms, but yes, they all mean lots of "crap" posts. You don't get much of that here. And even better, the quality of what is posted--when a serious subject is broached ;) --is impressive.

That doesn't mean there aren't disagreements--VIA chipsets v NVIDIA v Intel, ATi v NVIDIA, Western Digital "quality" etc, but the protaganists (and they know who they are!) are civilised about it.

Bartender, drinks for our new member! Hope you enjoy the show.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
HMTK is a long-time poster at SR. Not as long as the the dinosaurs who participated to create SF's community, but I've seen him for at least 3 years at SR. I think he arrived at SR around the same time as the MBF happened.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Looks like HMTK is looking for a new shinny castle to protect his crown :

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=20986

Continuum's post in that thread is particularly hilarious (he has several, several times 5000 posts at Ars Technica's forum).

Personally, I have deserted SR's forum for a while, but now I visit their computer forum once in a while. The Bar & Grille though, I won't come back.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Speaking of Ars, my account still exist there, I can't believe it. I haven't logged in maybe four years and they haven't deleted my account! Let's just hope they won't borrow Davin's doomed backup tapes ;-)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The B&G started to became an abomination about 4 years ago and became completely so more than 2 years ago. Now even the computer forum gets few visitors compared to the old days.

The MBF was not due to bad tapes, but human error. ;)

HisMajestyTheKing

What is this storage?
CougTek said:
HMTK is a long-time poster at SR. Not as long as the the dinosaurs who participated to create SF's community, but I've seen him for at least 3 years at SR. I think he arrived at SR around the same time as the MBF happened.

I was a member for one or maybe two years before that. Lately I've kicked the habit of posting. Too busy at work the past month and for the moment I live at my family in law's - only an analog dial-up connection there. Painfully slow. Close to torture. Good thing is that I don't feel the need to post :D

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Welcome HTMK.

I also registered over here when SR became a little less appetizing in some respects. Of course, I still post semi-regularly at SR as well. I was just a lurker at SR when everyone here frequented the place, but I remembered the creation of this place, read the posts here occasionally, and eventually got around to registering.

The main problem with SR (forgetting for a second the utter destruction of the Bar & Grille by the political interests of a minority of its members) is that it is being buried under the posts of people that don't know what they are talking about, asking silly questions. That's not their fault; they don't know their questions are silly. Older residents liked SR because discussion was dominated by a group of very knowledgeable, very literate computer users. With the influc of totally naive posters, the number of interesting discussions drops, drowned out by, "which of x y z drives is fastest" (the options are, for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable current generation 7200RPM disks), "which disk is more reliable" (as if the majority of responses are going to be anything other than the most ridiculous opinion), "should I get a Raptor?" (who the fuck knows) and "what disks are the best for RAID n" and on and on.

On the other hand, there are still knowledgeable people there and there are still great threads. You just have to avoid anything that fits the genera above. Or try and put the thread out of its misery early with a practical, authoritative answer backed up with useful information.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Welcome aboard, HMTK! I think you'll find this place is a little more civilized than SR, and also with more diversity of opinion.