Old cable modems = slow?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I never even thought that there was a speed difference in cable modems, but a blog claims that newer modems may be faster. Is there any truth to this? Is there any reason to suspect that my Toshiba PCX2200 may be limiting my internet speeds, which depending on time of day and speed test used, range from 400 kbps to 5.5 mbps.

http://www.wakingupcosts.net/fullThreadPrint$msgnum=561#msg561

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Today I tried some speed tests from DSL Reports. A java-based test clocked my download speed in the 400's kbps, while the flash-based test had me in the 5.5mbps range. Any idea why the discrepancy? Do download speed tests just lack precision?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Yes, they can lack precision. For instance, if your first test happened to be when 35 other people click 'speed test' the results may well vary from the second time, when only 3 others (possibly) were taking the test. So you're dependent on server load and bandwidth as well as your own connection. No to mention general Internet performance at all of the connection points between you and the server. I've found 2wire's ( http://2wire.com/ ) Speed Meter to be reasonably accurate but even then I'd run it 2-4 times and take an average (or maybe the peak) to get a real idea of your bandwidth.

And FWIW while my old RCA cable modem (supplied by Comcast) should have been fine, I noticed a bump in throughput when I replaced it with a D-Link DCM202.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Speed tests are going to be variable, but moreso when you're testing from two different places that could be anywhere on earth.

My understanding is that cable companies can flash modems on their network with firmware updates to control connection speeds. I've heard of folks hacking their modems to use higher speeds than their ISPs promise, but never anything about the vintage of a cable modem as a contributing factor.

Sol

Storage is cool
My cable company just told me I might have to have my modem replaced as they're bumping my download speed from 10Mb to 20Mb so there must be some limitations.

Of course my cable modem is a cheap POS thing which doesn't even tell me what brand it is and came only with a set of instructions for rebooting it when my download speeds started crapping out so the point may not be globally applicable...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/products/index.html

There are multiple DOCSIS standards, more recent specs being necessary when download speeds get into the higher ranges (30Mbit+).

The PCX2200 is a reasonably recent model, and is certainly capable of anything in the 10-15Mbit/sec range.

There are benefits for the cable company in moving to the later releases of DOCSIS, especially when they are competing for customers in areas where Verizon FIOS is available. Both the head end gear and the modem has to be compatible, of course the modems are backwards compatible and will work with older networks.