Old Stuff

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
Sometimes I have to wonder how retired/defunct hard drive manufacturers would stack up today if their luck had been better years ago. I'm sure most of you remember when Miniscribe's drives were some of the best selling hard drives on the market. I wonder where they would be today if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot. And others who have gone out of the business or sold out: Tandon, NEC, Mitsubishi, et cetera.

You don't have to tell me I'm mentally unstable, I already knew that. :D

I remember our very first computer (I was practicly a baby!) was a Leading Edge 4.77mhz IBM clone. It was a cute, efficient little machine, and the sounds it made were unmistakable. I used to sit on mom's lap while she played (or worked), and when she turned it on she would always tell me to listen for the train. "Honk-hooooooooooooooooooonk-Beep!" Yup, it was a Miniscribe. I also remember when we replaced that drive after we started getting errors, and upgraded to a Mitsubishi MR535. 60 megabytes! Wow, we thought we were set for life and then some. I liked to plug in the Miniscribe now and then to listen to the sounds, but one day I accidentally dropped it on a concrete floor, and that was the end of that. Anyway, the Mitsubishi lasted until the computer outlived it's usefulness, then gave out not too long after it was declared a game computer. That seems like ages ago. Not too long ago, I got the urge to restore our two Leading Edge computers, and, of course, the first drives I found on eBay were Seagate ST-225s. Eventually, though, I found a Miniscribe 3438, which I was certain (based on my "research") was the original drive in our first computer. When I plugged it in I nearly had flashbacks (good ones)! And to think, it still works. I also found a Miniscribe 8438, which was the original drive in our main business computer (this drive survived intact until about a year ago when I killed it trying to get the information off of it). The cool thing about the 8438/8425 drives is that they can be taken apart and the platters flipped or replaced, or the "interrupter" can be turned to place track 0 in a different spot, thereby often reviving the drive after it has long been dead.

Yeah I know someone's gonna shoot me if I keep spewing all this insanity. lol. but I like being nostalgic about computers.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No no! This is great stuff, and you write about your old machines with clarity and force - enmough so that I was able to correctly identify your old drive merely from your written description of the sound it made. (Yes, I got to "Honk-hooooooooooooooooooonk-Beep!", paused before I read on, and thought "sounds like a Miniscribe to me".

This is good stuff, RW. Don't stop now!

PS: what happened to Tandon? They are still going just fine. Sometimes I wonder why and how, but they are still around under their post-merger name.

PPS: I assume that you are familiar with the stuff about old drives at http://www.redhill.net.au

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Didn't Tandon file for bankruptcy and then disappear? AFAIK, Jugi Tandon made his money and when things turned sour just retired. He's somewhere in Los Angeles county. He had it good while it lasted, though.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Nope. Still trading, still selling hard drives, still pretending to be the best in the world when they ain't.

Someone provide the name of the new Tandon please. .......

(A small prize will be thought of fondly but somehow forgotten about in practice.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tannin said:
Nope. Still trading, still selling hard drives, still pretending to be the best in the world when they ain't.

Someone provide the name of the new Tandon please. .......

(A small prize will be thought of fondly but somehow forgotten about in practice.)

WD

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio, we need some new Shakspearean insults for you to use, like: doting wizard, dissembling harlot, peevish, unhappy strumpet, quartered slave, fragment, shame of Rome, base slave, fusty plebeian, debile wretch, hereditary hangman, old crab-tree, horse-drench, kitchen malkin, etc...

JKKJ

No, we just need to find something Mercutio likes. :)

RWIndiana

Tannin, you probably shouldn't encourage me. Ha.

I wouldn't know where to start with the old stuff, I like it all. I do have a testament to the amazing longevity of some MFM drives. I have a drive that is 20 years old which was originally a SCSI drive (Miniscribe 8425S) which I got from eBay. I got it about two years ago now, and it was so worn out already that it didn't work at all except to spin up. It was also crusted with dust wherever there was airflow, so it's amazing it could even spin. I didn't know of a way to low-level format a SCSI drive, so I took a logic board from a non-working 8425 drive, and was able to low-level format it that way. But no matter how many low-levels I gave it, track 0 was consistently bad, though I could make partitions. Of course, only partition D: worked, but at least I was able to enjoy the sounds of it seeking as I messed around with it.

After becoming dissatisfied with that, I decided to try and adjust the interrupter. At first I apparently went to far, because it made some dreadful grinding noises and spun down. I thought I had ruined it, so I tried to get it back to where it was in the first place just so it would work again. Relief! It worked. Then I did a low-level format and found that track 0 was perfectly fine! I formatted it, and although it had plenty of bad clusters from years of wear and tear, it was rendered very reliable by using Spinrite.

I have taken this drive apart several times since I permanently installed it in the LE model D computer. Once, I got such a terrible surge of curiosity (I hope I'm not the only one this happens to. I have ruined many, many expensive things because of this weakness) to see if I could exchange the platters of the drive with those of another, identical drive (8425 or 8438). So that's where the original drive of our old business computer came into play. I took the platters out of that one and put them in the 8425, and amazingly I was able to format, partition, and store data on it. Actually had very few bad sectors. Of course I had to reformat the old platters when I replaced them, but the drive has been running just fine ever since (with the old platters yet!).

I'm guessing that the last experiment on this drive was close to a year ago, and it has actually received moderate to heavy usage as a game computer for my younger cousins, neices and nephews. It is quite reliable as far as I can tell, and hasn't developed any new bad sectors that I know of. Obviously, given it's age and all it's been through, I certainly wouldn't trust it with anything vital. But I never cease to be amazed when I turn on the computer, listen to the old, familiar beeps of the Leading Edge, then the Miniscribe drive answering with it's distinctive winding noise. Then watching as DOS 3.3 boots up flawlessly to host my "advanced" menu system which everyone likes to compliment me on (too bad there is no use for such talent any more).

Anyway, nowadays if you take apart a hard drive, it is dead within hours, if not minutes or even seconds. Not so with the old MFM varieties.

How I wish hard drives today were as adjustable as the old Miniscribes. I understand that with so much data packed into smaller and smaller spaces, the ruin of a drive is secured with even a very small amount of dust, yet I wish we could perform a "real" low-level on modern drives. Wouldn't that be nice?

Now, you say Tandon still lives on through Western Digital; does that mean Miniscribe at least partially lives on through Maxtor? I don't know if it makes me a storage heretic or not, but I rather like that idea! :D

Thank you for indulging me. Heh. :)

RWIndiana

Oh Tannin, forgot to tell you that the Redhill page of old drives is very, very cool! I loved every wordof it.

RWIndiana

Well if ever you don't want it P5, I'll take it, especially if it works. ;)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't have one, I want one: It was the first machine I played with. I have no idea where I could even hope to get one though.