Onboard video with Dual-head capability?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm looking for motherboards whose onboard video can drive two monitors simultaneously. Spanned, not mirrored.

The one I'm looking at is here. It has "Intel GMA X4500HD" graphics, which I know nothing about.

Thanks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Intel has made several of those. I built one a few weeks ago that had a VGA + DVI setup, which apparently worked well enough for my user's needs. I can't remember what model it was but I distinctly recall that it also had parallel and an IDE port but no PS/2.

Anyway, it could and did run two monitors, which did not strike me as particularly remarkable.

ddrueding

Fixture
I read a number of reviews a while ago where some onboard video would only mirror to the multiple outputs, only presenting one to the OS. I don't remember which one it was.

Mercutio

OK so I'm slightly wrong and was misremembering the Parallel port.
The board I'm thinking of was a DG33TL.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the info. I'll be checking out other options. I can't find "supports multiple monitors" on most of the spec sheets...

Mercutio

Are you going to move to California now?

The company I work for provides no benefits other than my very flexible schedule, and my employment isn't all that secure.

Given the choice of going back to contracting full time and moving, I'd probably look longingly at my wrists, then a razor blade, then my wrists again, and then I would probably decide to move.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, right now I'm a CIO guy with a staff of none. I wouldn't mind filling that in with the all-stars from around here...when I get a budget...when the economy turns around...in a few years...

Mercutio

True story:
There's a woman I met through another forum who is the Windows system admin for a business with about 150 users. She sends me E-mails and IMs and stuff and basically I tell her exactly how to do her job.

Today her boss, who really knows even less than she does asked her "Who is that guy you're always asking about stuff?"
And she told him.
He called me directly to ask me questions.

She makes $25k a year more than I do.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I just accepted a 20% or so pay cut in order to get insurance (first time in 12 years), 401k, misc other benefits and a reliable paycheck in these uncertain times.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yeah I have one of those pegasus Dual DVI ADD2 cards Model #35111140 (made by wintec industries) for the Intel onboard graphics (G33M chip). It is supposed to work. But it doesn't seem to fit right when I put it in my case. The gold contacts aren't all in on the one side. So it sits in a box till I figure out what to do with it.

The technology is called SVDO or something like that. It supposedly works with 915G/945G Motherboards, and Intel GMA 900/950 graphics controllers. And up (thus the G33). The add on card doesn't actually have more than a silicon graphics interface chip on it. It uses the onboard video to drive the ports.

I just moved so stuff is still in boxes. Finding and getting that card adjusted so it fits right is not high on the priority list. Heck I don't even have dual monitors.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I did just order one of these for my new work machine. We'll see how it likes dual-monitor action; and how it likes running the 3rd and 4th monitors after an 8800GTS drives the first two.

Last edited:

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yeah but they were one of the only ones with a dual head dvi card.
You can find plenty of the single dvi port ones (ebay seemed to have loads) but the duals were rare. And I couldn't see how they could possibly screw up putting some Silicon Image chips on a board with two dvi connectors.

I think I tried putting it in my old machine and it fit fine. So I don't know if there is something weird with this case/mobo combination I have or what.

I'll probably end up with one of the low end ATI cards soon enough.