Online IQ test

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Since some people here have already taken tests for AQ, EQ, and SQ, I figured we might as well throw IQ into the mix.

The test results seem accurate compared to other IQ tests I've taken. I got 136. Last time I took one of these(about 20 years ago) I scored 138. Somehow I don't think we'll get too many here scoring in the double digits. ;)

You need to give them an e-mail address and some info at the end before they'll calculate your score. They also let you know your personality type. This was mine: "Joseph, you are a Visual Mathematician. This means you are gifted at spotting patterns. This and your overall high intelligence make you good at understanding the big picture." Seems spot on to me.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I got 135 and Visual Mathematician. :roll: I don't put much weight on these things.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well, I took it although I very tired (can barely keep eyes opened) and there's a few question related to supposedly well-known sentences I claim I was culturally disavantaged to answer correctly, but...135 and visual math just like you. Would it have been in French, I would have tied you!

No jokes about stupid foreigners please.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Congratulations, bill!
Your IQ score is 131

blah blah blah...

We also compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is Visual Mathematician.

What effect does age have on these numbers? I would think that at some point it would have none?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I got a 133 and I'm a Facts Curator. I've taken these tests before and gotten better scores. I chalk this score up to studying 17th century Europe for the last 7 hours.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
flagreen said:
Congratulations, bill!
Your IQ score is 131

blah blah blah...

We also compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is Visual Mathematician.

What effect does age have on these numbers? I would think that at some point it would have none?

On other IQ tests after you reach the age of 16 or 18 age is no longer a factor in determining the score. Emode doesn't say anything about its methods though.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
flagreen said:

I think the test score is adjusted for age for the simple reason a person with more life experience will get more questions correct than he would have when he was younger. As timwhit said, though, past a certain point age doesn't make much difference. Seeing that our ages here range from roughly 20 to over 50, and we all more or less understand each other I tend to think that past maybe 20 age doesn't matter.

Average so far is 133.5.

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
Congratulations, Darren!
Your IQ score is 131

We also compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is a Precision Processor.

This means you're exceptionally good at discovering quick solutions to problems, especially ones that involve math or logic. You're also resourceful and able to think on your feet. And that's just some of what we know about you from your test results.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Congratulations, Timbo!
Your IQ score is 136

This means you are gifted at spotting patterns — both in pictures and in numbers. These talents combined with your overall high intelligence make you good at understanding the big picture, which is why people trust your instincts and turn to you for direction — especially in the workplace.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
"This means you are highly intelligent and have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a variety of different ways. Like Plato, your exceptional math and verbal skills make you very adept at explaining things to others — and at anticipating and predicting patterns."

:tounge: They sure got that one wrong! Exceptional at math - ROTFLOL

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I filled it a second time, giving an age around ten years younger than I really am and changing only one answer from what I did last night and I ended up being a visual philosopher with a score of 136. I answered to all questions in probably one minute since I remembered most of the answers. Time doesn't seem to affect the score, neither does the age of the participant.

fool

Congratulations, grail!
Your IQ score is 138

Facts Curator.

Of course, I had the advantage of seeing that the test wasn't timed, otherwise I'd have assumed that it was and guessed at at least one of the answers (question 7 IIRC).
Also , the water is to glass a letter is to .....,
question sucks. None of the offered answers is a decent analogy.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
One thing that does get better with age is vocabulary (at least until alzheimer's sets in). I am constantly coming across words that I have never seen before. I try to read in front of my computer so that I can look up words on www.m-w.com or www.wikipedia.org. Reading things that are dense or written by college professors is an especially good way to learn new words.

I don't know if logic and reasoning skills will get any better after a certain age, but I doubt it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Visionary Philosopher according to that test. No comment on my score.

I actually know my IQ, and I question the value of using a 40-question exam to assess it, but I can accept that it's at least as good as a lot of other "Know your IQ" self-administered tests. I'll just say that there was a discrepancy between the score I received from professional examination and this one.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
What's your real IQ Merc? I would guess in the 160-170 range??? Maybe higher. I think one problem with this test is that it won't go higher than about 140 or so.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
timwhit said:
What's your real IQ Merc? I would guess in the 160-170 range??? Maybe higher

I was thinking the same thing. I'm also wondering about Tannin, cas, and Gary H., to name a few who I think would best the scores posted here so far.

I think one problem with this test is that it won't go higher than about 140 or so.

As IQ gets higher measuring it becomes more difficult for the simple reason few people are smart enough to think of hard enough questions. Also, few people have IQs above 140 as shown by the curve below:

img011.gif

Mercutio

timwhit, I don't want to say. It's not something I wear on my sleeve or that's particularly useful information. If I'm the guy with an IQ of X, then I'll be known forever as "the guy with an IQ of X, who couldn't figure out or failed at Y" with my every screwup.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Here's an interesting read I found:

The Effect Of Urban Flight On IQ Distribution

Merc, I see your point but consider that IQ is something you're born with, and isn't necessarily a predictor of success in any one endeavor. Sometimes perserverence makes up for a lack of IQ, which probably explains to me how people whom I think are complete morons somehow manage to get through the day unscathed. They try and try and sooner or later get it right.

BTW, I remember scoring 162 on one IQ test, but since I scored in the high 130s on most of the other tests I took I threw that one out as an outlier.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I find it suspicious that all of our scores are within eight points of being identical. Something smells.....

Mercutio

Like maybe the test is too easy?

It's also possible that the reason is that the folks here are mostly a couple of standard deviations away from the mean to begin with.

Tannin would probably have some interesting things to say about this stuff, with the statistical nature of IQ scoring. IQ is a function of age as well as raw score. And most tests DO have pesky cultural bias.

This pretty much sums it up. It's good to know that when I call the person who cut me off in traffic a "moron", I mean that he has an IQ between 50 and 69. :)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Thanks for the link. Here's one for Tannin - What are the odds that all of us who happened to take the test scored in the upper 2.2% of the population?

I suspect they have found that those who score well on the test are more likely to spend $15.00 to buy the report they are selling. Hence the test is purposely too easy or the scoring is done on a "curve".

fool

Well I was about to start this post with

fool would’ve said:
What is intelligence?

No, seriously, I’m interested in your opinions.

And I still am, but Mercs link makes me think that an IQ tests main function is to determine the appropriate insult for inconsiderate drivers 

What I will say is that If intelligence is the ability to learn, then shouldn’t the score should be based on the difference between the first and second times a subject takes an identical test.(If you get all the answers right the first time you get to test your examiner).

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'd say that it is the abilty to reason.

People learn in different ways. So taking the test over again would not necessarily tell you anything except whether the person taking the test learns from repetition.

I have always had trouble learning from books. Show me or tell me and I'll grasp it fairly quickly. But I have always had a difficult time concentrating on demand for any length of time. Strangely enough however I love to read!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc said:
Visionary Philosopher according to that test. No comment on my score.
Ditto. I found the test suspiciously easy, and to my surprise, scored much, much higher that I thought I would before I went to the link. And this was when I was dog tired and couldn't think straight.

I'd have to agree with everybody here; that test smells somewhat. But I really, really like being a "visionary philosopher". I've always liked to think of myself as an old fart with long white hair, a long white beard, mumbling things nobody understood. :D

I'd also have to agree with the suspicion that they're probably handing out higher scres to sell the "complete report".

I at least meet one person's criterion for being of above average intelligence. My wife is fond of saying "people with higher than average intelligence trip over themselves and are incredibly stupid sometimes". According to her I've fit this mould many many times. :roll:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
mubs said:
I've always liked to think of myself as an old fart with long white hair, a long white beard, mumbling things nobody understood. :D
If you don't mind wearing red clothes, there'll be plenty of job opportunities for you very soon in super markets.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
fool said:
Well I was about to start this post with

fool would’ve said:
What is intelligence?

No, seriously, I’m interested in your opinions.

And I still am, but Mercs link makes me think that an IQ tests main function is to determine the appropriate insult for inconsiderate drivers 

:mrgrn:

I have little doubt the IQ test was invented by someone like me. We engineers need to quantize everything. Anyway, I started this thread for fun. I don't put too much stock in tests like these, but the results so far confirm my suspicions. We're all in the upper 1% or 2% intelligence-wise, and there doesn't seem to be much variance in intelligence among us(at least for those who posted their scores). I'm also sure we have a few geniuses, or frustrated genuises, among us, but then I knew that before.

I wonder what score Tea would get, and what percentile that would put her in among her orangutan peers?

So far, at least, nobody here approaches the alleged intelligence of Roswell aliens(said to be 200+).

Here is an interesting discussion of high IQs. It seems IQs above 160 appear more frequently than they would under a Gaussian distribution. This part I thought was most interesting:

For example, we would only expect to find one IQ of 160 or above in every 11,000 people. Instead, we find one IQ of 160 or above in every 1,100 people. We would only expect to find one IQ of 180+ in every 3,500,000 people. Instead, we find one IQ of 180+ in every 20,000 people. We would expect to find one IQ of 200+ in every 5,000,000,000 people. Instead, we find one IQ of 200+ in every 500,000 people. An IQ of 220 would be so improbable that we can consider it virtually impossible. However, psychometrists have found several individuals with childhood IQ's this high. (The highest IQ officially on record... 228... belongs to Marilyn vos Savant, although I have been privately informed of the existence of someone with a childhood IQ of 242.)

Despite the higher than average occurance of high IQs, even in NYC I would only expect to find about 75,000 people with a higher IQ than myself, ~8,000 above 160(four subway trains worth), ~425 above 180(enough to fill two subway cars), and a mere 17 above 200(not even enough to fill a bus :(). This of course assumes NYC has the same IQ distribution as the entire US, which is highly doubtful.

SteveC

Storage is cool
They have another test, if you have some time to kill. This one said:

The way you think about things makes you an Analytic Detective. This means you are an unusually talented problem-solver. You are able to think through a process step-by-step, and know how to zero in on anything that is even remotely illogical. Compared to others you are very adept at discerning numerical patterns and solving difficult equations.

How did we determine that your thinking style is that of an Analytic Detective? When we examined your test results further, we analyzed how you scored on 8 dimensions of intelligence: spatial, organizational, abstract reasoning, logical, mechanical, verbal, visual and numerical. The 3 dimensions you scored highest on combine to make you an Analytic Detective. Only 6 out of 1,000 people have this rare combination of abilities.

Mercutio

I think describing intelligence as the ability to reason misses the mark, substantially; it discounts the other factors that make up the mind, to say the least.

Everyone knows what I mean when I talk about "Rain Man"-type individuals. Idiot-Savants. Are those people truly intelligent, or is their unique talent merely an outlier to their obvious deficiencies?

What about spatial skills or kinesthesis (awareness of body position)? I'm sure we all know someone who can't add two-digit numbers in his head but can estimate volumes to fractions of cubic centimeter; or the Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretsky-type super-dominating athletes of modern mythology. Those guys wouldn't be who they are unless some genius-like ability gave them not just intense understanding of how their own bodies move, but also the movements and sensational awareness of everyone around them.

Emotional intellect sounds like a silly phrase. Empathy? Is empathy a function of intelligence? Does a person with a high capacity to reason necessarily possess empathy? Or does empathy stand on its own as some aspect of intelligence? "O Captain, My Captain!" perfectly translates sorrow, as does Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, but in each work, was the real skill compositional, or was it in the empathy of the artist, translated to works? I realize this is something subjective and perhaps unquantifiable, but in my opinion it is a very important aspect of our mind.

We use different words to describe these things. We lump pattern-matching and verbal ability and mathematical skills and recollection into "intelligence" for these tests - measuring how fast and well we perform these tasks, but we leave out all these other things that our minds also do, some faster and better than others, and those left-out aspects of mental activities just don't count?

Handruin

Administrator
The way you think about things makes you an Original Thinker. This means you're a naturally abstract thinker. You pick up visual detail that others routinely miss. You're also very good at making connections that don't already exist, and you have your own ideas of how the world works. While your talents matter greatly in real life, they are sometimes overlooked in less thorough intelligence tests.

How did we determine that your thinking style is that of an Original Thinker? When we examined your test results further, we analyzed how you scored on 8 dimensions of intelligence: spatial, organizational, abstract reasoning, logical, mechanical, verbal, visual and numerical. The 3 dimensions you scored highest on combine to make you an Original Thinker. Only 6 out of 1,000 people have this rare combination of abilities.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio,

I think you are on the right track. It is far too complex a subject to narrow down to one single answer.

Just for the heck of it I looked in the dictionary for clues and here's what I found.

Main Entry: in·tel·li·gence
Pronunciation: in-'te-l&-j&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin intelligentia, from intelligent-, intelligens intelligent
Date: 14th century
1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : REASON; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests) b Christian Science : the basic eternal quality of divine Mind c : mental acuteness : SHREWDNESS
2 a : an intelligent entity; especially : ANGEL b : intelligent minds or mind <cosmic intelligence>
3 : the act of understanding : COMPREHENSION
4 a : INFORMATION, NEWS b : information concerning an enemy or possible enemy or an area; also : an agency engaged in obtaining such information
5 : the ability to perform computer functions

That's good enough for me I guess. The problem is that the word itself is too broad in scope for any one answer to suffice as a definition. The "Context" in which the word is used seems to be all important.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
don't take too much stock in what you score on this test. I've done a heap of IQ tests over the years, both properly tested and measured in a controlled environment and quite a few "reputable" ones on the net. 3 were proper tests and another 6 or so were the reputable online tests. the lowest I've scored is 128, the highest 164. in 2 of the 3 proper tests, and in 3 of the online tests, I scored either 143 or 144. generally it seems that according to these test results, I have an IQ in the low-mid 140's.

now, according to Merc's link and a fair few other papers on the topic on IQ levels , I am supposed to be a genius. I more than happily dispute this. I like to think I’m smart :)P) but I know this is not true. I'm not being falsely modest, I’m simply not a genius. I don't pretend to be an actual genius nor do I want to be a real genius. anyone that knows me well knows I'm not a genius and I'm perfectly happy with this! the only thing I will accept from the results of my scores is that I have an IQ level that is above average.

why am I saying all this? well I believe there's a flaw in the typical test method used in IQ tests. instead of actually being a genius, I must have a good ability to score high on these types of tests. I'm pretty curious to know if others here have found the same thing. does anyone else score consistently higher or lower than they think they should?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I too have taken several IQ tests over the many years and they have actually been relatively consistant 128-138. It has not mattered whether they were professionally done, web based, or even book/magazine based.

As far as "intelligence" I really don't think of myself as being more intelligent (faster learner) than average and in some area's I seem to be incredibly stupid: for example I once tried to learn a foreign language (Japaneese): To that end, I put incredible amounts of time (3 years of intensive study)and got absolutely nowhere. A very humbling experiance and now I simply recognize that failure as a basic self-limitation.

I do recognize that I am percieved as more intelligent but I believe that that is more based on the technical field(s) I am skilled at rather than my ability to learn. I do think of myself as "Wiser" than a great many that seem to have absolutely no common sense or even knowledge about how people or the world works.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Flagreen,

People writting dictionaries don't hold the keys to infinite knowledge. Their definitions are only their view of things, especially abstract terms, and no one forces you or anyone else to take them as absolute thruth.

I'm with V8-lover regarding the value of IQ sores. IMO, it mostly measure your knowledge in certain fields and a fraction of your skills rather than dressing an overall picture of your intellectual capacities.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Congratulations, xxxx!
Your IQ score is 135

We also compared your answers with others who have taken the test. According to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is a Visionary Philosopher.