OpenOffice 2.0 is out.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
New Interface

As mentioned above, the new user interface to OpenOffice.org 2.0 provides a number of productivity enhancements and is designed to assist in the transition from proprietary office suites while letting new and existing users take advantage from a brand new, appealing, functional and easy to use interface. The introduction of multi-pane views, floating toolbars and native desktop integration in all modules, provides a familiar interface and a great deal of flexibility in how the user can interact with the application. Of course, OpenOffice.org provides for extensive customisation of the menus, toolbars and shortcuts to suit the particular needs of any user.

Database Module (OpenOffice.org Base)

This release sees the debut of OpenOffice.org Base, a database module capable of creating self-contained, portable and cross-platform database applications. The self-contained, portable database files are made possible by utilising the HSQLDB database engine, which is implemented in Java, allowing complete cross-platform compatibility and functionality between GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Sun Solaris users.

Any database application developed in OpenOffice.org using this database platform is immediately portable to users on any operating system supported by the OpenOffice.org office suite.

OpenDocument Format

The OpenDocument format was approved as an OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards) standard earlier this year. OpenDocument has since been submitted to ISO (International Standards Organisation) for ratification as a public standard.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is the first open source office suite to offer full support for the OpenDocument format, an XML file format specification suitable for office applications including text, spreadsheets, charts, and graphical documents.
For further information about OpenDocument, see our Related Information links below.

Enhanced PDF Export

For those who wish to distribute documents in a non-editable format, the very popular PDF export feature, introduced in OpenOffice.org 1.1, has been greatly enhanced in this release. The PDF export now gives greater control over the quality and size of PDFs generated as well as providing support for links, indexes, forms, thumbnails and presentation transition effects.

XForms

XForms are now much easier to create, edit and use, thanks to their complete integration inside OpenOffice.org. XForms support is important as this represents one more steps in the direction of more interactivity and connectivity inside documents. OpenOffice.org definitely leads in this direction and does this in by supporting standards, freedom and openness. XForms is the standard for web forms defined by the W3C consortium (http://www.w3c.org/), the body defining the web standards.

Improvements to Calc (Spreadsheet)

The Calc module has now been expanded to support up to 65,536 rows of data. This enhancement will allow advanced users to make fuller use of OpenOffice.org Calc when dealing with vast quantities of data. In addition, significant improvements have been made to the DataPilot feature, enabling users to carry out advanced analysis of data stored in spreadsheets and databases.

Compatibility

Significant improvements have been made in the functionality of proprietary office suite filters, allowing for improved compatibility between office applications, including Microsoft Office. In addition, import support for Corel WordPerfect documents has been added, allowing for easier cross-suite communication.

Other Features of Interest

Word Count
The basic Word Count functionality provided in earlier versions of OpenOffice.org has now been extended to include advanced information including a count of selected words and characters. This feature has now been moved to a more accessible location.

Digital Signatures
OpenOffice.org 2.0 now offers the facility to apply Digital Signatures to documents using standard digital certificates.

Native Installers
OpenOffice.org 2.0 supports native installation mechanisms. For example, .MSI and .CAB files are provided on Microsoft Windows, and RPM files are available for Linux making it easier for end-users to install on their computer system.

Read the full press release.

Download it.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Very cool. I always liked the PDF functionality. When emailing my CV I've appreciated that relative inability of others alter it (as opposed to MS Word documents). Last think I want is for some secretary to do something accidently to my CV before printing it out and handing it to the person it was intended for.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Adcadet said:
Very cool. I always liked the PDF functionality. When emailing my CV I've appreciated that relative inability of others alter it (as opposed to MS Word documents).

Some recruiters do not like PDFs as they cannot always be searched in the database. In that case they may print the PDF to an OCR engine and output as RTF or HTML, resulting in something that may be worse than you intended. ;)

Adcadet

Storage Freak
LunarMist said:
Adcadet said:
Very cool. I always liked the PDF functionality. When emailing my CV I've appreciated that relative inability of others alter it (as opposed to MS Word documents).

Some recruiters do not like PDFs as they cannot always be searched in the database. In that case they may print the PDF to an OCR engine and output as RTF or HTML, resulting in something that may be worse than you intended. ;)
Yup. My CV is not for recruiter use.