Opera 9 released

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I note that Opera 9 has a content blocking feature similar to the adblock extension in Firefox.

Good to see the Opera people doing something right.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Opera is pissing me off. Why is it that if I uncheck "reuse current tab" Opera still opens sites that I enter in the address bar in the current tab? If I check "reuse current tab" it does the same thing. Is this supposed to happen, or is Opera just stupid?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
The address bar corresponds to a specific tab.
When you replace it, you are changing that tabs address.
If you want a new tab you have to open one first and then change the address.

It is different from FF because the address bar is below the tabs.

I've been using Opera as my main browser for a few months now.
The only thing that throws me is the tab order and which is selected.
I'll often hit the close button on the wrong tab, thinking I'm closing the current tab. When I close a tab it goes back to my previous tab. I want it to go to the next tab in the list.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, I run Firefox normally. But, I test in Opera, and it is annoying that it behaves differently. I am just being picky.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Did opera 8.x render Gmail poorly? I seem to remember Opera not playing well with Gmail, but it looks great in 9.1.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Opera has really failed me for the first time today.
My bookmarks aren't displaying correctly. The folders are there but not the bookmarks not in any folders. And then later not even all the folders are showing. The appear if I do manage bookmarks.
And my middle click just stops working sporadically.
And then it just closed for no reason.

argh!

Mercutio

I finally found a use for Opera.

I actually need six different newegg shopping carts at the moment on the same PC. Firefox, IE, K-meleon, Flock, and IE and Firefox in a virtual machine were not enough.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm a man of little patience.

There's a reason I can't tolerate Firefox, and can't live without Opera.

Actually, there are several. My point is, you're both trying my patience.

If someone - like Will - has a genuine problem, it would be great if you could offer genuine help. Otherwise, bugger off.

Mercutio

I didn't try to help Will because I'm not an Opera user. time and Tannin are the only other Opera users here.

Opera tries my patience to exactly the same degree that Firefox tries yours, perhaps moreso. I'll take my endlessly extensible and configurable browser any day.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
For the record, the problem I had resolved itself after rebooting. But the whole machine, not just restarting opera.

I'm still not sure I want to continue to use Opera as my main browser.
I really like a lot of things about opera. And it looks like they are moving in the right direction. But it is like it is so close but yet still so far from a really good browser.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I loved Opera at one point in time. I found it to be a godsend when I was doing a ton of Internet based research in grad school. Something happened that caused me to like it less. Can't remember what it was...

After using successive versions of Firefox with various extensions, it finally won me over (as I sit here typing on IE7 that came with Vista ;) ). I think it's the extensions that make the difference, as FF straight out of the box doesn't do it for me.