Opera - Aluminium hat time?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Aluminum foil hat?

I hear tin foil works better, if you can find some, but looking at what the author had to say, I'd at least be a bit concerned, myself.

Tough times have come when we get to the point that every machine has to have a firewall, just to keep our software from narc-ing on us.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've just uninstalled Opera and I will remove their URL from my bookmarks. I also plan to stop using my operamail.com account soon. Back in the Opera 6.x days, I complained about its large memory footprint. I should have investigated further...

Their practices are lame.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
I've just uninstalled Opera and I will remove their URL from my bookmarks...

If I were you, I'd certainly go as far as backing up all my data files, then re-formatting the drive and reinstalling everything from scratch.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
A ghost from the distant past sent me a link to an interesting thread on the subject. One of the Opera software developer (yngve) has another opinion on the matter.

GIANT,

Was it humour or were you serious?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The article is complete bullshit from someone who seems to know SFA about Windows, or indeed, anything. The follow-up letters to The Inquirer point this out in a nicer way.

I didn't realize you were that gullible, Coug. :eek:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I usually take The Inquirer's articles with a grain of salt, but I rarely start the switch of my intellect when reading about browser's security anymore. Unless it's about the one I'm using the most : Phoenix/Mozilla. I read it quickly, didn't pay much attention to details, saw a possible security issue and decided to sweep Opera from my computer.

PGP and blablabla bore me. Besides, I much prefer Phoenix to Opera, so it's not like it changed much of anything in my browsing habits.

To my defense, I found it weird that Adaware didn't find and any spyware caused by Opera (only by Eudora) in all the months I gave it trial shots. "But hey, why take chance?" I told myself.

The annoyingly high memory usage by Opera isn't acceptable though. Until they find a way to fix that, I doubt they'll convince me to switch from Phoenix.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
There iz a letter to the Inquirer that I don't completely underztand. Tannin zayz that that iz juzt az well becauze it haz zomething in it called "bad language". I'm not zure what he meanz by that. Doezn't zeem to be any wordz that Tannin doezn't uze every time zomeone bringz a Hewlett-Crapard into the zhop and azkz if we can make it ztop crazhing all the time. Maybe he meant the mizzing capital "D" to ztart "Dear". But that's OK. I fixed that myzelf.

Anyway, here iz the letter that I mentioned.

Subject: your article is fucked and you know absolutely nothing

Dear idiot,

do you even know what a fucking .dll IS???

It goez on for a while, but I thought that waz the bezt bit.