Operating a forum

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My young cousin (I could very well be his uncle) studied computer sciences and he has ok programming skills. He also is a gaming addict and he wants to start a forum where he and his kiddo friends can brag about how much l33t they are (I know even know what freaking game they're playing). Apparently, they are close to a hundred together.

He asked me how much it would cost to run a web site and a forum to host their community. I've no idea. I think he's after something like we had here at our beginning, with a front page AND a forum in background.

So what would be best for him? PHPBB, VBulletin or something else? How much do they cost? Assuming a hundred players membership, what storage space they need and what kind of bandwidth? I assume they'll have similar to twice our posting volume. I doubt they'll last more than five years though. People eventually grow up.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
There are a bunch of free forums out there that he could setup and run (google "free forums") it would be a good way to get started and to find out if he really needs something that costs money.

Handruin

Administrator
Any cheap hosting company that supports one of the LAMP stacks will suffice for that kind of load. They can get an account on dreamhost or something inexpensive. I think Mercutio has been really happy with his account there. I would say phpbb or simple machines forum would work good as a free solution. If they have cash to spend, vbulletin might make for some nice features, but I doubt it's worth the $200 USD. They could migrate later to it if they start with phpbb.

In terms of space, I think they should be fine for a while even with 100 members. Our current database size uncompressed is about 240MB which comprises 158K posts and almost 8900 threads and 768 members, of which we probably only have a dozen who post. Bandwidth I'm not sure about. I would speculate on the conservative side of 8-10GB/month.

If he wants to do a front page for basic information, he could create a wordpress blog that is manageable. Then create a URL on the main page to the forum. it's not a clean integration of forum and blog, but it's a free solution. There may even be a mod to integrate the two log in systems they your cousin could hack with since he is studying computer science.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So worst case :

• 200$ for the software
  • hosting plan with 10GB/month bandwidth and 250MB of storage
Dreamhost VPS plan at 15$/month seems to cover all the hosting needs.

Thanks.