Outlook Express Win vs. Mac

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I always thought there were no major problems with MSOE if you use a virus scanner for your e-mail and turn off previewing messages in the preview window (so unwanted spam messages can be deleted w/o opening them)...

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question though...

C

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Clocker said:
I always thought there were no major problems with MSOE if you use a virus scanner for your e-mail and turn off previewing messages in the preview window (so unwanted spam messages can be deleted w/o opening them)...

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question though...

C

Unfortunately, some computer users don't share your common sense.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
First thing: Outlook viruses can be spread whether the preview Window is present/in use or not. Some of the bugs out there have figured out how to execute themselves upon receipt.

Second thing: At least some of the Apple products are impacted by poor MS products.

The other side of things is that most macro-type viruses are looking for PC-like directory structures, so filesystem-type damage would be minimal.

Everything else is fair game, though.

In short, nope, you're out of luck.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
These are the clues I recieved over the phone before I figured out what the problem was in roughly the same order. Some of the problem was the translation form end-user to me.

"The hour glass on my computer won't go away."
"My outlook express inbox recieves 20 messages everytime I connect, from people I don't know or addresses I don't normally recieve messages from."
"My wife is receiving multiple emails; some referencing an email account we no longer use."
"My mother-in-law is recieving lots of mail from people she does not know."
"Did you say Worm? I remember reading something about a worm today."
"I just got 18 messages. One of them says, 'This message is infected with the Klez virus....' Could that be the problem? I didn't send this message and no longer use the address the message shows."

It turns out that his SMTP server checks the outgoing mail for viruses. Apparently sometimes Klez will not send itself in the message and they were getting through to his wife and mother-in-law. The rest were being bounced back to him as rejected.

NickWild

What is this storage?
Cliptin said:
These are the clues I recieved over the phone before I figured out what the problem was in roughly the same order. Some of the problem was the translation form end-user to me.

"The hour glass on my computer won't go away."
"My outlook express inbox recieves 20 messages everytime I connect, from people I don't know or addresses I don't normally recieve messages from."
"My wife is receiving multiple emails; some referencing an email account we no longer use."
"My mother-in-law is recieving lots of mail from people she does not know."
"Did you say Worm? I remember reading something about a worm today."
"I just got 18 messages. One of them says, 'This message is infected with the Klez virus....' Could that be the problem? I didn't send this message and no longer use the address the message shows."

It turns out that his SMTP server checks the outgoing mail for viruses. Apparently sometimes Klez will not send itself in the message and they were getting through to his wife and mother-in-law. The rest were being bounced back to him as rejected.

I have gotten about 10 klez viruses in the last month........norton 2002 cannot delete them but it does put them in quarantine but all my mail goes out through norton automatically....

also just for your personal info I have found this new email client which has alot of bells and whistles and works much nicer than outlook which i have used for yrs

here it is
www.incredimail.com

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Cool flash demo for that software Nick.

Weird, I have never received a Klez...

C

Adcadet

Storage Freak
hmm...
seeing as how I'm getting a new laptop, and am totally sick of my crappy iMac here at work (at least I could put Mozilla on it, but I can't run Moz and MS Word at the same time).....perhaps somebody could send me a special email (acalvin@mmrf.org) as a going away present for this "horrid little iMac".

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
NickWild said:
also just for your personal info I have found this new email client which has alot of bells and whistles and works much nicer than outlook which i have used for yrs

Incredimail is free using adware...I personally like to keep my system free of adware...anybody else?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
OE for Mac? Isn't that the one that runs in classic mode, entailing a 1 to 2 minute wait while OS X starts up classic? What a pile of stinking poopy.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Pradeep said:
OE for Mac? Isn't that the one that runs in classic mode, entailing a 1 to 2 minute wait while OS X starts up classic? What a pile of stinking poopy.

Not if you're running OS 8.6 like I am at work (at least until my shiny new laptop arrives).

I sometimes use an iMac running OSX and I HATE waiting 2 minutes for OS9 to load so I can run word. Grrrrrr!