Outlook, PST files, and Synchronization

ddrueding

Fixture
Hi,

My GF uses Outlook for everything and loves it. She has been using it on the desktop I built for her with her PST file stored on the server in the attic. Now I've bought her a laptop for use when she's on the road, and set up the built-in synchronization for all her files.

Unfortunatly, it refuses to Sync PST files. I understand why; were e-mails to be send/recieved from multiple versions of the file before sync it would be a nightmare. I currently have it set up as a manual check in/check out system, where she manually moves the file from the server to her laptop before she leaves on a trip and moves it back when she returns.

I'm open to suggestions (that still involve using Outlook - I don't want to teach her something else, or migrate the data) on the best way to do this.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Install an Exchange server? It depends on if this is the new girlfriend or the soon to be ex girlfriend I guess?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Will MS Briefcase do this? Basically all you want is to compare the file modify dates and update the older one so I am thinking some sort of bat file that she runs when leaving or arriving?

ddrueding

Fixture
To answer Pradeep's question, this is to establish a fool proof system for when I'm no longer here. An exchange server is a bit of overkill...

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm hoping for either a workaround that will allow Sync to deal with PST files, or for some other automated check in/out system.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You don't need Exchange. You *do* need a single-drop IMAP server that can pick up her (no-doubt) POP3 e-mail. Building Linux boxes to do that is something that gets me lots of business, since IMAP solves a lot of E-mail sync problems.

There are also a couple different ways to change the types of files that can be used with offline sync. You can do it with registry patches or by making changes to Local Security Policy.

ddrueding

Fixture
The mail itself is less of an issue. The calendar, contacts, and to-do lists are the most important. I've never seen anyone use so much in Outlook. Even if no mail was sent or recieved on the laptop it would be fine, so long as she could update and maintain the other things.