question P771

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm starting to be annoyed with my old pair of sub-notebooks and the 2-generations on replacement P771 is a question mark. Of course I would be losing one of the two hard drives, but gaining a lot more in CPU compared to the sluggish Intel L7100. In the past there was a very nice forum on the sub-notebooks, but it was closed due to spam so I am at a loss. :cry:

Is the P771 worthwhile and where can I find more info on the specs? Obviously I'd have to pull the hard drive, but does it take a standard 750GB 7200RPM type? I'm not so enthused with an anti-glare screen and 32-bit OS, but the custom version is more than just buying the OS - assuming it works.

I don't know what to do, or maybe I can do nothing with the dearth of choices. The standard brands like Lendovo and Dell have the ass-hanging-out batteries that make them not starters.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, you're getting the architectural improvements of a Core i CPU over a C2D, but you're getting that on a ULV chip. The i7-2617 clocks up to 2.6GHz/core and supports hyperthreading, so if nothing else you're going to see benefits from those things. Knowing what you're generally doing with a computer, I'd hazard a guess that those extra threads are probably worth quite a bit.

Obviously I don't have a lot of experience with that CPU, but I have access to some slow-ass Lenovo X200 tablets and I do understand the frustration.

LunarMist

I would hope the 2.6GhZ and newfangled Sandy Core is worth twice the speed. I'm not sure if it runs at 2.6 continuously when plugged in, but it should be possible for even a small notebook to handle a 17KW CPU.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Check out SD's post about the impact Sandy Bridge had on his bluray re-encodes. I have an apartment full of i7s and I still have happy pants feelings about getting my hands on one.

LunarMist

I only have the one old hexagonal core i7 in the desktop. It's not the Sandy Core though. The notebooks I have now take about 35-40 sec. to convert one old-school 21MP RAW file. The future is coming soon and I would not be able to handle it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Oh and if Mercutio has feelings in his pants just thinking about SandyBridge, I imagine you would have quite a feeling in yours when you would put that 17KW CPU on your legs.

LunarMist

:doh: I mean watts, i.e., 17W is the TDP or whatever they call it nowadays. I'm assuming that the performance on battery may be less than maximum to conserve power. I almost always use the mains power though.