Parallel printer at the end of a CAT5 run

ddrueding

Fixture
I have an old industrial computer that needs to print to an old Okidata 320. Both need to be parallel/centronics, but the cable needs to be pulled via a tiny 50' conduit. I have shielded/filled/whatever rated CAT5, but I'm looking for the adapters at either end.

Help? Please?

ddrueding

Fixture
You can't use a parallel to Ethernet print server?

The computer is not windows/unix/anything I could work with. It is an ancient RTOS that can't be negotiated with. Anything that can take the output of it's LPT port and get it to the Centronics port on the back of the Okidata exactly as transmitted is acceptable, but it needs to be transparent on either end.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Parallel ports use IIRC 17 pins in standard operation so you'd need three cables and possibly a dumb repeater as well for a run of that length. I have to imagine that the bulk of 3 cat5 strands has to be comparable to a normal parallel cable.

ddrueding

Fixture
Parallel ports use IIRC 17 pins in standard operation so you'd need three cables and possibly a dumb repeater as well for a run of that length. I have to imagine that the bulk of 3 cat5 strands has to be comparable to a normal parallel cable.

Do you happen to have a link to bulk parallel cable? Perhaps something more intelligent that could get by with less wires?

Edit: I really don't want to solder pins if I can help it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Keep in mind a parallel port cable isn't supposed to work beyond about 15 feet before the crosstalk just get stupid.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Keep in mind that's bollocks. ;)

I've seen them laid past 150 feet - with ultra-low-capacitance cable, I stress.

Doubtless that wouldn't support EPP/ECP, but I very much doubt that's an issue here.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Keep in mind that's bollocks. ;)

I've seen them laid past 150 feet - with ultra-low-capacitance cable, I stress.

Doubtless that wouldn't support EPP/ECP, but I very much doubt that's an issue here.

I've used a parallel port switch with a 25 foot cable and this worked fine.