PC Customers 101…..Know thine enemy!

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
They are using Windows XP Home. They removed the drivers and switched to a MS PS/2 mouse (the one that I sold them) and the problems went away.
Buck, you may find this link useful.

MouseWare version 9.3x or earlier should NOT be installed under Windows XP; only MouseWare 9.4x or higher should be installed in this operating system ... If you have installed MouseWare 9.3x into Windows XP, it is strongly recommended that you download the latest version of Logitech MouseWare from the URL listed above and install this release directly over the currently installed version

Of course, the hardware may be defective, but I just wanted to reiterate for the expanded audience reading this thread that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Logitech mice per se.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
time said:
Buck said:
They are using Windows XP Home. They removed the drivers and switched to a MS PS/2 mouse (the one that I sold them) and the problems went away.
Buck, you may find this link useful.

MouseWare version 9.3x or earlier should NOT be installed under Windows XP; only MouseWare 9.4x or higher should be installed in this operating system ... If you have installed MouseWare 9.3x into Windows XP, it is strongly recommended that you download the latest version of Logitech MouseWare from the URL listed above and install this release directly over the currently installed version

Of course, the hardware may be defective, but I just wanted to reiterate for the expanded audience reading this thread that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Logitech mice per se.

Thanks for the tip Time (at least someone researches these things :lol: ).

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Time is very good at researching things. Tannin, on the other hand, has a gift for discovering ugly, unresearched brute-force solutions that sort of work anyway. When I grow up (if I ever grow up, that is) I want to be a real technician. Like Time.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Tea said:
Time is very good at researching things. Tannin, on the other hand, has a gift for discovering ugly, unresearched brute-force solutions that sort of work anyway. When I grow up (if I ever grow up, that is) I want to be a real technician. Like Time.

And another one! Perhaps her potassium is nice and high, yet she's got the smushed bananas off her hands so she can actually type.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Type 21: Who are you?

This is the unusual customer, but incredibly endearing. I had one the other day. They gave me a ring, we made an appointment, and I visited their home-office to make their switch from an older Pentium II machine to their new Dell Laptop. They requested assistance with two items:

1) They need Microsoft Office Small Business Edition
2) Help them migrate from one system to the other (involves data and internet connection...this can end up eating a lot of time)

Unbelievable! I arrive, and begin by asking some basic questions. I come to find out that they have already backed up all of their necessary files to floppy diskettes and they are going to put these files onto the laptop. (Nice. That should make my stay shorter.) Besides Office, the other two programs they need have already been installed. (Nice. That should make my stay even shorter.) So, I go to physically move the old desktop system out of its computer niche and they actually help take the parts out, plus they set the desktop system up in another part of the room. (Thanks for the help, my back appreciates it, and my stay should be shortened a bit more.) They clean up the computer area, we place the laptop into this niche, plug in their cable modem connection and we’re live. After installing MS Office, briefly setting up their email accounts, and running some Windows XP updates, they’re ready to go. All of this took an hour (less time then I expected), so I charged them for my time and the MS Office suite – suddenly we’re done.

They were very friendly, asked if I wanted anything to drink or eat, but I declined. I must have been in shock from the experience.

Population Density: Not Enough
How to Deal With: Enjoy the moment, it won’t come around again for quite some time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And while I'm at it:

I sell PCs to a lot of college-age kids. Most of them either want something super-basic to do word processing and browsing on, and that's why I sell a lot of $500 with-the-monitor computers. The other common type (also known for asking the same 5 questions about RAID on SR), is the guy who has Caviar tastes and a Burger King budget...

Type 22: The Clueless Optimizer
The CO wants to buy a computer to do SOMETHING very, very fast (usually gaming) Unfortunately, he's hampered by the fact that he has the knowledge of a Type 2(ii) and the shiftless lack of motivation to even TRY to figure out what he's talking about. These customers tend to follow semi-informative hobbyist publications, but don't bother to read all the icky details. These guys are characterized by their extreme desire to overclock everything. If you find yourself saying "No, I won't install the 52x-burn-hack that wookie_poop at 2cool4uhardware.com recommends on the 32x burner you're buying from me.", you're clearly dealing with a clueless optimizer.
Unfortunately for the CO, he doesn't know how to do it for himself.
Warning signs: Anyone looking for a Radeon 9500 or Geforce 5700. Anyone who asks you about powerstrip or RAID before any specific discussion of the his computing needs. Anyone with strong opinions about HSF combos but almost no knowledge of motherboards, except that "Abit is good, right?".
COs also tend to be the guys who want rounded IDE cables, no matter how often you tell them it screws up the performance they're hunting for. They like case windows and interior lights and last year's ricer PC mods. When you get their PCs back on support calls, you'll find at least 10 different performance/temperature monitor/overclocking apps running at startup, at least 30 different nasty spyware parasites, and the exact same revision of AV software as the day it went out your door.

On the plus side, every once in awhile a Clueless Optimizer suffers a sufficient blow to the head to be turned into a useful and productive individual. Often this happens because the CO has found he has both a larger-but-still-insufficient budget and a Honda CRX, and therefore can be a CO for an entirely different kind of vendor. Sometimes, luckily, he sees the light, emerges from his cocoon, and actually gains enough knowledge to become a Type 2 (iii).

Population Density: I believe it's legal to hunt them.
How to deal with: Either run away, or stock more electric-blue cold cathodes. Do not, repeat, DO NOT offer warranty service.