Peachtree Accounting blows

ddrueding

Fixture
So I do a house call for a friend's friend :roll:

His HP PC is all messed up, so I ploan to use the restore CDs.

"All I need is my accounting data" he says.

So I launch peachtree and use their "backup" routine to back up the company to a floppy.

<Insert 3 hour formant and restore process>

So I reinstall peachtree and attempt to restore the company. But it's asking me whick company I want to restore to!

Fine. So I create a compnany and attempt the restore "Error, this is not the right company for this restore"

:evil:

I'm about to go to their website and do some research, but I had to vent first.

sorry :oops:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
peachtree must do some marketting because I've encountered some other businesses that use that software and it really sucks. There must be better alternatves out there (even free ones).

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, and I'm afraid I've run dry on their "knowledge base" as well. All it appears to be is the manual reprinted with the title of each section rephrased in the form of a question. :eekers:

Off to google...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Quickbooks is IMO just as bad. The whole thing with not being able to manually update tax tables is supremely annoying.

ddrueding

Fixture
GAH! Their "backup" file (using the .PTB extension) is JUST A ZIP FILE OF THE DATA DIRECTORY!!!

%@#^$&(*)*&^%$^&*()*^%$(*&)_(*&^%$^&+_)(*&%^&*(*&^#$%&*(*)&$^!

They suck! I want to kill them all!!!!!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
MS Money is not much better.
If the data files get corrupted, the program won't even load.

I'l stick to pencil and paper :D

Bozo :mrgrn:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
MYOB uses the same approach, i.e. ZIP.

You would be amazed at how many of these products force the user to restore from backup after the slightest glitch. :evil:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well, I'd definitely avoid anything from Intuit. Their product activation scheme and practically forced upgrades for Quicken users are simply disgusting.

I have my budget in an Excel spreadsheet and even that's overkill.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Well, I'd definitely avoid anything from Intuit. Their product activation scheme and practically forced upgrades for Quicken users are simply disgusting.

Forced upgrades? I'm still using quicken 2000 deluxe.
No nags or anything.
I'm considering upgrading to quicken 2004 just because of the current tax time deals.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Last year was my first time entering mortgage info so I know how you feel. I get to deal with a refi this year.

The tax packages handle mortgage stuff just fine. TT, TaxCut, etc. will all take the mortgage form you'll get from your mortgage holder. The web form should as well if still want to go that route.

I bought TaxCut; with rebate it + the state tax version (free AR) are cheaper than TT.