Peculiar SMART errors with Win 8

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Not really a tech support thing 'cause the system is working, just an odd one to throw into the pot for discussion.

As detailed in the Windows 8 thread, I recently built a new home server. Well, upgraded one, keeping the old case, PSU, and most of the drives.

Out of the box, Win 8 imposes the usual power management nonsense, but instead of turning it off (which is what I usually do, 'cause I get sick of it stuffing things up all the time) I left it on. They seem to have got Windows power management to the point now where it actually just works - the system shuts down by itself, and wakes up to continue on exactly where you left it. I've never experienced that before, though I gather it's something Apple have had working properly for ages.

The system has five or six internal hard drives (depending on whether I have a DVD or a backup HDD plugged into the last SATA port). Not too long after I did the install, which was on a fresh new Seagate 2TB unit, it crashed out big-time. (Details in the Windows 8 thread, but probably not relevant here.) Sometime around about the same time, Windows 8 gave me an error message saying that I urgently needed to replace my HDD, 'cause it had a SMART failure. The particular error was excessive spin-up time, apparently a sign of impending drive failure. Gsmartcontrol reported the same thing. But it didn't recur, it was just a oncer.

Still, it was the C: drive, so I replaced it just in case, using a newish Samsung 2TB instead. Slower, but that legendary Samsung reliability.

The Seagate drive, now re-purposed to other duties continues to work just fine. No more errors.

And earlier this week, on resuming from standby, Win 8 reported the replacement drive doing exactly the same thing. Same thing, different drive. The five other drives ... not a problem, just these two.

The power supply is a good one, though perhaps not as young as it might be, and I have no reason to think there is anything else wrong with any of the hardware.

In SCSI days, I'd have set a power-on drive spin-up delay, buy this board seems not to offer that option, which is odd 'cause it offers nearly everything else.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it 'cause it's weird.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Random thought?

Is the boot/system drive in the first enumerated SATA port?
You've got six drives. Is it possible that the system power management is powering on the other drives before that one, causing Windows to think that one is not responding quickly enough?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I think I have tracked it down to a faulty $1 mylex-SATA power adaptor cable.

I always did hate those damn things, and religiously avoid using them for hard drives as a rule, only optical drives which are not so fussy or so important. In this system, with five HDDs, I need a couple. No idea what I was thinking about when I used one on the boot drive. Mind elsewhere, or possibly I decided that the boot drive could easily be replaced with a few hours work, where the data drives contain important stuff.

Anyway, I reckon that is the answer.